• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

They will have to honour any notice agreements so you'll have a couple of months to sort stuff out. I'd start to look at property availability in the area and going rental rates so if the worst does happen and you have to move, you've got a good idea of your options.

There seems to be a fair bit in the news about landlords selling up because of unreasonable regulations like energy efficiency and the like.
    Yes, I've had a quick look around. It seems I can expect to pay double what I'm currently paying at an absolute minimum

The manager guy has told me that he's argued for keeping my rent down in the past as I'm useful to have around, letting him know of any problems and even going in to the other flats when people have problems like leaks to let him know what the situation is and make quick fixes to keep things under control until he can get here. But I don't suppose any of that will count for much with a new owner if they want to flip the place, or even if they don't, so I suppose a rent increase is inevitable even if I don't get my marching orders.

He manages a bunch of other places as well, so maybe he'll be able to help if anything comes free at the right time. But it's all just another annoyance I could do without

I might have to have a look at that "contractor mortgages" link over on the right…

Comment

Wot? Not enough cash in the bank to buy the place yourself? AYCOTBAC?
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Wot? Not enough cash in the bank to buy the place yourself? AYCOTBAC?
        I've bought a lottery ticket, so I don't really see what more I can do

The guide price the auctioneers have put on it is about £100K less than I would have expected. But they've seen the state of my bathroom, which probably accounts for that

Comment

A walk to the high street was required to collect an order from Hobbs. That allowed me to pop into Ole & Steen for a chicken salad roll and one of their nice cinnamon socials.

I wonder if Ealing has an Ole & Steen [fires up Google]

Chiswick, pah. Although if I'd gone for Richmond I'd have been ok. Darn postcode snobbery. I will just have to patronise one of the local independent cafes instead when I can't be bothered to make my own lunch.
          Last edited by ladymuck; 30 June 2022, 11:43.

Comment

Lunch earlier was a couple of croissants

It's raining here now

Comment

Thanks to today's Freeview retuning, I can no longer get Quest - the HD channel has been abolished anyway, and the SD one is in one of the gaps our aerial can't get

I can get the SD +1 channel, so there's that

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                A walk to the high street was required to collect an order from Hobbs. That allowed me to pop into Ole & Steen for a chicken salad roll and one of their nice cinnamon socials.

I wonder if Ealing has an Ole & Steen [fires up Google]

Chiswick, pah. Although if I'd gone for Richmond I'd have been ok. Darn postcode snobbery. I will just have to patronise one of the local independent cafes instead when I can't be bothered to make my own lunch.
                Try the Moon & Maybe or WA Cafe.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Spag bol for tea, which was inordinately nice. As always when I make that, I'm left wondering why I don't make it more often

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Try the Moon & Maybe or WA Cafe.
                    Thanks! I've made a note to check them out

Comment

Bins (recycling and general rubbish) trundled.

There was some rain earlier.

Comment

Working...
                      X