• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    It's been ages since I posted in here... thought I'd look in and say hello people
    Hi DB, how's things?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Hi DB, how's things?
      Oh surviving Nick I guess, bit of a quiet period last year with work but things picked up again now, which is nice.

Just resurrecting our plans to move house - if we can find somewhere to go

Hope things are good with yourself?
      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Oh surviving Nick I guess, bit of a quiet period last year with work but things picked up again now, which is nice.

Just resurrecting our plans to move house - if we can find somewhere to go

Hope things are good with yourself?
        Fine thanks - keeping busy

Just mucking around setting up a new phone, which then insisted on upgrading my watch's OS… might get out for my evening walk once it's done its stuff

Comment

Dinner was moussaka with chips. Good old classic.

Ents was random tat and some stuff on BBC Sounds.

Comment

Tea has been the last of the chicken casserole from, I was surprised to find, February, accompanied by chips and peas

Much faffing later, the phone is all set up and the watch also. It insisted on downloading an OS update for the watch, then immediately downloading another - 6.5 and 7.3, if I remember correctly - both of which took ages. I later found out that it downloads these to the watch over Bluetooth to save energy; but this makes no sense, as it's really slow, and the watch has to be on its charger throughout the process anyway. So the secret is to turn Bluetooth off on the phone before letting it install upgrades to the watch, as then it uses wifi instead which is much faster, even if it does use a tiny bit more battery

Once all that faff was finally done, it struggled to get the watch set up from backup; I suspect things were getting confused by the presence of the old phone, which also kept helpfully offering to set the watch up. But I finally got it sorted out, though too late to go for my walk

Anyway, the SIM card has now been shifted over and the iPhone 6 can begin its retirement

My first iPhone was a 3GS, bought in September 2009; then I got the iPhone 6, in May 2015. So I take roughly six years between upgrades, meaning this one should see me through to 2027. Though TBH it's a bit big for carting around in a jeans pocket, so I may end up keeping it mainly for the camera and for using the Internet or watching videos over wifi, and get a cheap SE for actual mobile telephonic purposes

Comment

And telly, in the brief moments when I wasn't mucking around trying to get things to Just Work, was a bit of Trucking Hell

Friday tomorrow!

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Another rather overcast start, but warm enough to be going on with at 13°C. 19° forecast for later, but no thinning of the cloud expected until this evening; barometer (adjusted) is 1023mB but I don't know what it is unadjusted, because I get that from an app I wrote, and I haven't installed it on the new phone, and it turns out I need a new version of Xcode to support the new phone, but the new version of Xcode needs me to upgrade to MacOS 11… yeah, not at this time of the morning

Comment

Just realised I forgot to trundle last night

This is what happens when I miss my walk

I'll pop down in a bit and see if it needs doing. They haven't been coming until lunchtime at the moment anyway

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Just realised I forgot to trundle last night

This is what happens when I miss my walk

I'll pop down in a bit and see if it needs doing. They haven't been coming until lunchtime at the moment anyway
                    Playing with new toy is a perfectly reasonable excuse

Comment

Morning all

Bright and dry but cloudy at present. Currently 16 degrees, high will be 17. Looks like rain is a dead cert all day today. (However a little video I happened upon on the BBC website explained why weather apps are really rubbish at forecasting rain). Barometer up to 1022 mBar.

No trundling for me as I did it on Monday evening and haven't generated enough detritus since then. I could put some recycling out but there's room for a bit more yet.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                      DNA is successfully cloned from an extinct animal, the 'Quagga' 1984

(In case you were wondering, a Quagga was a sub-species of the Zebra that lived in Africa and was hunted to extinction in the 19th century by those bloomin' European colonisers)

Comment

Working...
                      X