• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My Dad keeps nagging me to check my car as it's not been moved for a month.

I know I should but I just can't be bothered.
    You can do it...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hoping to have the ignore list business sorted out today… wish they didn't make everything so complicated

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Hoping to have the ignore list business sorted out today… wish they didn't make everything so complicated
        Given that everyone clueful seems to have moved elsewhere it's not surprising that those left behind created a grade A mess.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

It was damp with a very bracing breeze, then a bit of rain started in the last hundred yards or so. But overall, quite refreshing

Comment

No trundling has occurred or will occur, as the struts propping up the stable roof make it impossible to get the bin down the now open-sided alley, and I'm not giving myself a hernia trying to shift the temporary barriers erected to keep us out of next door's back yard

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              My Dad keeps nagging me to check my car as it's not been moved for a month.

I know I should but I just can't be bothered.
              Whip out start it up and listen to the radio for 10 minutes. Or wait till you need it and have a flat battery.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Whip out start it up and listen to the radio for 10 minutes. Or wait till you need it and have a flat battery.
                The battery is probably already flat

Comment

A very nice tea tonight: pork chop, chips, peas and gravy

Only the one chop as I had three left in the freezer so needed a single-chop meal to balance things out, and decided I'd save the other two. So a double-chop meal awaits in the not-too-distant future

They must have been in the freezer for about a year as I got them from the market shortly before Lockdown 1.0 started, if I remember correctly. Still very nice and flavourful though.

Comment

The Strangelove(tm) battery charger is an heirloom, which was purchased in about 1963 to charge the battery of the then current StrangeloveMobile, being a Wolseley 6/80:

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...s-wolseley-680

Commonly used as a police car in the 50s, so causing all sorts of trauma.

The Crompton Crypton AE3 Electric battery charger had copper oxide rectifiers that yours truly replaced with silicon diodes back in about 1972 when the old rectifiers died.

The replacements are so much more efficient that it required a voltage drop to stop it grossly overcharging.

There's also a rather bigger charger/starter that's heavy enough to require wheels.

Here's a picture of an AE3 battery charger:

https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-Crypt...531575033.html

It is graced with a moving iron ammeter which gives the true rms current reading of what's going into the battery, which a moving coil meter wouldn't.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 March 2021, 16:53.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I stopped the charger briefly an hour or so ago so I could check with the multimeter, and the voltage is at a much more acceptable level. It must be getting near fully charged by now so I'll probably stop it overnight; I'm sure my Halfords charger's auto-stop feature will work rather than it burning the place down, but you can't be too careful and I can finish it off tomorrow

Tonight's viewing has been some more Trucking Hell while dining. Might knock that on the head for a bit; it gets rather repetitive when they explain all the intricate details of how to tow a lorry three times in the same programme

And then more of The Americans: S3E2 Baggage (TV Episode 2015) and S3E3 Open House (TV Episode 2015)

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X