• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Flood halfway up a hill: Dynevor Road Skewen:

Skewen flood '''from mine''' forces 100 homes to be evacuated - BBC News

There's a tulipload of holes in the ground up there:

Interactive Map Viewer | Coal Authority

Ooops.
    So the holes are no good in diverting the water away from homes etc?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Pali
      I had a hunch you'd be along for the pali

Comment

Gordoneo Bennuto! Getting a deluge of phoney emails. Must have come to top of pwned list again.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          You & your grill, me & my teapot*.

It's all go cleaning stuff at the moment.

You'd think we were all locked in or something.
          I've just been cleaning my oven* and noticed there was limescale on the kitchen tap, so had to give that a good clean as well.

*I used baking soda to clean the wire racks but really need some Pink Stuff
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Darn it. Not got me little van back yet. Garage said the part they ordered hasn't turned up yet.

Loony lady 1 had to drive us to our walk place today. She drives like a snail, we always get a queue behind us.

PS She walks like a snail too. Loony lady 2 was much faster.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Now watching some dog grooming program.

Apparently it is a competition to be the best dog groomer!?!

Anyway they are grooming cocker spaniels, The dogs are just patiently standing their panting while staring at the groomer.

They have some very fat guy who is the judge.

Comment

Apparently some of the dogs are fat as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Nope, they fill up once the pumping equipment is turned off and if the rainfall exceeds the natural drainage rate it starts popping out all over the place. Most of South Wales is built on the geological equivalent of swiss cheese.

I worked for the Coal Authority for a couple of years and one of the projects I worked on was the digitisation of their historic map collection that underpins that online map service. They have stuff going right back to the early days of mining on cloth maps anything up to 6' x 8' in size, all hand drawn. Genuinely fascinating stuff.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Nope, the hole is whence the water cometh.

Main Colliery Neath floods the village

Happily the bit I'm sitting on at the moment had nothing of any innerest underneath it due to the presence of The Neath Disturbance that formed the valley.

Otherwise there's an outcrop on the other side of the river that's just about aimed right at me.

Not to mention all the faulting around here.

When I had the time & the inclination (i.e. in work, bored tulipless) I investigated some of this stuff.

There's shedloads of holes all around.

I noticed that when they built the new estate up the road that they had various curious pipes stuck in the ground.

Bet they were looking for workings.

The canal went bright orange about 20 years ago when a level up in Ynysarwed suddenly started pouring orange water out (i.e. contaminated with iron).

There's a treatment plant up there now (reed bed thing IIRC) that stops us getting orange coloured swans.

Originally posted by Wiki
                    In 1993 the stretch of canal from Abergarwed locks to Tyn-yr-Heol lock at Tonna was polluted when iron-bearing water began discharging from a mine adit of the Ynysarwed coal mine. This turned the water orange, and deposited ferruginous sediment along the canal. A treatment plant and reedbeds were installed to clean the mine water, and this £1.6 million project was commissioned in 1999.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 January 2021, 20:42.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Now they have another curly haired dog but they all have different breeds.

Oh they are giving it a designer coat cut.

Finally worked out this program is the dog equivalent of a human hairdressing competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X