• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea has been a roast Big Chicken dinner, and inordinately nice it was

Comment

Just been looking at my house & the parents' house.

My Dad really did keep the front garden looking fine.

Wondered if The Cat might appear in one of the windows in 2008 since it was sunny but there's no sign of her.

Can see the teddy bear in the front bedroom though.

Oddly, despite there being nothing written on it (because my Gran had it erased) the name of the house is blurred out though the number is extremely visible.

It's a fine example of how the current owners are too idle to shift themselves to maintain it to the previous standard.

Or even the somewhat reduced standard I subsequently managed.

I suspect they'd be appalled if they could see the state of the place now.

It was back before I removed the crazy paving from my front garden, so there's a fine crop of California poppies, Nigella, what might have been a rose tree, and some arum lillies.

Most of this is now a fairly mediocre lawn, though there is a self planted wild rose bush next to the front garden wall which is stunningly lovely for the 3 weeks or so it blooms but seems to have the ambition of taking over the world judging by the enthusiasm with which it grows.

Pruning seems to encourage it more.

As one might tell from the above, the Cornwall railway thing isn't holding my attention very well.

I found it inneresting that the Royal Exchange pub was completely demolished from front to back and rebuilt as an end of terrace house with a front garden.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 December 2020, 22:49.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

TFBSZ
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I was in a cheerful mood so decided to watch part 1 of The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story

I know there wasn't all the same tools available to the police back then but there were quite a lot of assumptions made that weren't helpful. And, of course, a woman who went to the pub without her husband was of loose morals

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I was in a cheerful mood so decided to watch part 1 of The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story

I know there wasn't all the same tools available to the police back then but there were quite a lot of assumptions made that weren't helpful. And, of course, a woman who went to the pub without her husband was of loose morals
            Yes, it's shocking the attitudes towards women among the police, and in wider society, back then. There's been a thing going around Twitter recently about how people say "Divorce didn't happen so much in the good old days" pointing out that it was almost impossible for a married woman to open a bank account in her own name before 1975. And AIUI a single woman usually had to have a bloke such as a father to act as guarantor before they could do so in those days. I assume famous women of the 1960s like, I dunno, Twiggy for example had to have their fathers or managers as co-signatories on their bank accounts despite being well rich on their own account

Comment

Tonight's viewing, after some Police Interceptors whilst dining (it's from Notts now) started with The Matrix Reloaded (2003), which had gone for the trendier Matrix Reloaded last time I looked it up, but seems to have reverted to including the "The" again for some reason.

I remember when it came out a lot of people complained that it had too much philosophical chit-chat, but I reckon it has too much stuff like the scene in Zion. These are the people who aren't in the Matrix, and most of them have never been in it, so they have no reason to behave like they're living in the 1990s. So why is their communal celebration a rave? Inside the Matrix that might make some sense, but not outside. They don't even have E, and although that's one I've never tried, I gather it's about the only thing that can make a rave tolerable

Spoiler alert for the next couple of paragraphs, should anybody care:

I also remember when it was first out, there was a thread on Slashdot about something or other - probably to do with Linux - and a guy posted a long reply which was a really well thought-through assessment of the matter under discussion. He summarised the essential premises with clarity, then elaborated the salient points, presenting a cogent argument in favour of a particular approach to the matters at hand. And in the middle, completely out of context, he included the sentence "In 'The Matrix Reloaded' Trinity dies."

People were fuming! I kept reloading the page just to read the angry replies stacking up until, after about forty-five minutes, the moderators deleted it. It was the most elegant bit of trolling (in the old sense) I've ever seen, and I was first on the Internet in 1993

Anyway, after that, I rewatched Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011). I'm not sure why, as it's good but I watched it not that long ago, but I couldn't be bothered to hunt around for anything else and it was nearby alphabetically. All good fun though, so not actually a waste of time

And finally The Sopranos S5E9, Unidentified Black Males (TV Episode 2004). Not much of this to go now; once it's done, I can get started on The Shield now I know it's watchable

Goodnight all

Comment

test complete

Comment

Morning.

I see we have another new arrival.

Anyway still dark outside.

I better get up.

I have yet another virtual conference today.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've been up the last four hours worrying about my uk/eu taxes and Brexit

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

CBS.

Sunny.

16.4 deg in here this morning.

1001 mBar and 61% RH.

Saturday.

<hiatus>

Walk walked during which "we" had the excitement of the ambulance helicopter landing in the Fairyland Estate, followed shortly afterwards by two plod vans with the twos & blues going strong.

Lunch: Heinz tomato soup with chilli plus Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, bramble jelly sandwich on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

<hiatus>

Freecell score: 86%, running average 84%, (83.58%).

Some halfhearted potching done in the garden and shed and garage.

Discovered I'd left the garden shears out in the rain for two nights, which was a bit upsetting, though a good oiling should see them ok.

Stuff had fallen over in the garage so it got picked up & put back.

I suspect more mags may be on their way to recycling.

The remaining ancient birthday & Xmas cards have been screwed up ready for incineration since they can't go in the paper rec.

I think the tin shed is about to collapse sideways which is a bit irritating.

We shall have to see what transpires.

It's now dark out and the sky is clear so it'll be a really cold frosty morning tomorrow.

<hiatus>

Tea: the last of the current batch of bol with Tesco spag, half a tin of fruit cocktail (eaten out of the tin as is only right & proper), a yog, and 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Whisky Galore (2016)" in colour, odd it's not as good as the 1949 version in B&W. on BBC2.

It didn't inspire me a lot, but it was mildly amusing in parts.

Britain's most historic towns: Edinburgh on 4.

Alice Roberts waffling on about Georgian Edinburgh.

Princess Alice: The Royals greatest secret on 5+1.

Inneresting.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 December 2020, 21:50.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X