• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm beginning to wonder if I've been transported to a forrin land. It's a gorgeous day out. Sunny and warm, not too hot.

Bet it persists down tomorrow when I'm not working.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I'm beginning to wonder if I've been transported to a forrin land. It's a gorgeous day out. Sunny and warm, not too hot.

Bet it persists down tomorrow when I'm not working.
      Don't trust it - it's luring you by pretending it's a nice place. Then when you are settled down it will reveal the truth...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        No exercise bicycling done yet as I'm going shopping in a bit, and that'll get recorded as some free minutes of exercise, thereby reducing the amount of actual effort I need to put in

I also need to start doing some other kinds of workouts I suppose, but I can't be bothered to sort that out just yet
        Me too. I've been doing some weight training recently.

It seems to be doing something.

Spent 20 minutes cooking yet more pears, some of which were actually ripe so I ate them uncooked.

Then it was an hour and a half potching about in shed and garages, the weather's a bit too fine for that since they're all Very Hot Inside.

Some magnificent spiders' webs adorning various bits & pieces.

There's one I can't bring myself to disturb since so much work has gone into it.

Quite what it thinks it'll catch I dunno.

Spent 10 minutes cuddling the cat.

Made a rod for my own back there having done it once, he now expects it every day. .
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Shopping done

They've removed the big self-checkouts

However, when it proved impossible to get everything from the trolley stacked in the minuscule bagging area of the remaining ones, I appealed to one of the nice older (i.e. probably about the same age as me) ladies who was hovering about waiting to authorise people's booze and so on nearby, to ask if there was any way I could remove some of the bagged-up stuff without the machine shouting at me, and she revealed an astounding fact: there's a little strip of light under the screen that goes red when you scan an item, then green once you've put it in the bagging area and it's satisfied it's the right weight. And once the light is green, you can take stuff off - a single grape, five bags full of lead, doesn't matter - and it won't shout at you!

So although I still prefer being able to just spread my bags out in a large bagging area and gather them all up at the end, I daresay I can adapt to arranging stuff in the trolley such that I can do a couple of bags, shift them back to the trolley, do a couple more, and so on

And it means more self-checkouts in the same amount of space, so I suppose that's why they did it.

(Also, when revealing this hidden knowledge to me, she actually said "Once the light's turned green it won't shout at you" so I must have hit on the correct technical term for that particular aspect of the machine's operation by accident.)

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Me too. I've been doing some weight training recently.

It seems to be doing something.
            I've got some dumbbells and a set of resistance bands that I bought in a fit of enthusiasm about three years ago and have never used, so I'll have to look up some stuff to do with them

Meanwhile, the watch credited me with a mere five minutes of exercise for the shopping

Carrying the bags in from the car and upstairs was enough to have finished most people off, and it took two trips, so I think I deserved a little more than that

Anyway, I need to pop along to the Amazon Locker so I'll record that as an "Outdoor Walk" even though it's probably less than a couple of hundred yards there and back. Might dawdle a bit and see if I can get it up to ten minutes

Comment

Is there not a scenic route you can take?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Is there not a scenic route you can take?
                I already do that - out the back, past the area where the cars and the bins hang out, down the narrow alley at the far end of the terrace (where I startled the local squirrel, which belted off up a tree at the bottom of a back yard there), over the next side road, and across the corner of a shrubbery to cross the back of the petrol station forecourt to the locker

Comment

Reduced quota of exercise bicycling done, green ring closed <- less than usual though

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I've got some dumbbells and a set of resistance bands that I bought in a fit of enthusiasm about three years ago and have never used, so I'll have to look up some stuff to do with them
                    The, er, "Thing" I use for weight training was bought about 45 years ago and is rather heavy for what it is.

But it seems to be building back the muscles I need to use it properly.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, seems to have got a lot hotter after its sojourn in the freezer, stewed pears and custard, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

It's getting dark quite early now.

Reminds me of those 20:00 tea breaks at 3M back in the long ago days of the 70s where you'd realise that summer was over when all of a sudden it was dark outside the canteen.

Entertainment: commentary on Aliens with uncle tom cobley and all but no Ms Weaver.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

after my first ever ocado delivery, dinner was M&S chicken jalfrezy with pilaw rice
                      and a nice Merlot.
                      excellent start to my long weekend.
                      ents: Lewis, then feck knows.

oh, and i'm a crap engineer*, according to the resident troll, who knows all about GDPS and suchlike.

*i do wonder why banks pay me so well to care for their systems in that case

Comment

Working...
                      X