• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autism is a brain development disorder that is usually noticed before a child is three years old and follows a steady course with no remission. Its characteristic signs are impairments in social interaction and communication, as well as restricted and repetitive behavior.[1] These characteristics distinguish autism from milder pervasive developmental disorders (PDD) or autism spectrum disorders (ASD),[2] and reflect Leo Kanner's first descriptions of autism, which emphasized "autistic aloneness" and "insistence on sameness".[3]

Comment

and back to mackay

"Whether it be that the multitude, feeling the pangs of poverty, sympathise with the daring and ingenious depredators who take away the rich man's superfluity, or whether it be the interest that mankind in general feel for the records of perilous adventure, it is certain that the populace of all countries look with admiration upon great and successful thieves.”

Comment

I think that the recent bannings have temporarily stifled expression, and annoyed one or two contributors. I think that (while not condoning contraventions of the board Ts & Cs in any way sp) an uncertainty has developed around how careful we have to be, or how fatigued sp is of all the trite stuff posted lately, and how arbitrary some bannings might be.

I'm also a little annoyed that, while it's perfectly ok to ban someone for an Irish expression that seemed a little tame compared to some postings (while not necessarily having the whole picture behind that exchange - there could have been more to that)... it seems to have gone unnoticed that we have a small band of new joiners who are filling the board with xenophobic, bigoted commentary which I personally find more insiduous.

I would suggest that it's more helpful to members to have a clear understanding of the boundaries (The Ts & Cs are too general). For example - 'childish profanity' is something that's easily recognisable and could be served with a warning or post-count reset.

We have had many a passionate and heated exchange on this board - which has kept this board going, and generated interest. Contentious issues should still have the latitude they require, and while this is a contracting board, it is also a community in which us contractors participate on many levels outside those specific to contracting, and we've debated the content of Light Relief and General a few times.

As for not being allowed to stray 'off topic' - I don't think this is a sensible condition to include. Natural conversations (including relaxed debate) naturally follow wandering paths and random tangents that add to the richness of the conversation more than they detract from it.

You may disagree with me, and that's fine, but I'm just exercising my right to express myself in a reasonable fashion. I agree that there's been a lot of rubbish flying around lately and that this may be frustrating the mods - but I also think that banning/censoring should be carefully thought through, and that the rationale should be stated - as in the old days of IRC when we gave a reason for banning/censoring people as it was carried out - this transparency maintains the trust of the contributors - which is a key factor for the success of an online community.

Thanks - this is just my bit, quietly stated, in Light Relief.

Comment

nice and no i don't but does anybody ever come here except me and a few other loons?

Comment

What - this thread? possibly not. Just making an observation about the board in general I suppose.

Comment

Anyway - I suppose I'll fire up the Mac and get those images I promised by COP today done. Dreary stuff really, just a few calls-to-action for the intranet. It's my birthday tomorrow so best get away early to make the most of the day off, and plan the weekend party.

Comment

Speaking of which - I hope the weather holds. Still wondering if I should schedule a normal drinking session with some mates for Saturday, or I should do something a little more interesting. Somebody suggested a picnic but a) that may be too 'girly' and b) it may be a washout.

Hmm

Comment

indeed and well said.

tbh i kind of assumed that the more extreme forumites who have recently been filling the board with unpleasant xenophobic, bigoted commentary were trolling for fits and giggles. chico taken to another level and all that. there might be many monikers but there are probably not that many individuals.

of course people will bite back when facing views of hatred, violence and extreme scatology and it all escalates. some of it i read and some of it i just know i won't like or be interested in - so i don't even go there. i have long since learned not to react. i can understand the moderators drawing a line in the sand. i would if it was me.

having said that, i agree that some of the odd & vapid stuff can at times create interesting discussion and rich tangents (humorous, strange, valid, thought provoking) but these threads, on the whole, belong to light relief.

marshalling the troops so that they post where they should might be tricky but now is the time if you ask me. which you didn't i'll grant.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
                    Speaking of which - I hope the weather holds. Still wondering if I should schedule a normal drinking session with some mates for Saturday, or I should do something a little more interesting. Somebody suggested a picnic but a) that may be too 'girly' and b) it may be a washout.

Hmm
                    bring a bat and ball and make it a bit sporty. on second thoughts bring a pair of trunks and a towel and make a big glastonbury style mud slide.

Comment

because if one thing certain this summer: it will rain.

Comment

Working...
                      X