• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon All,

I would have posted earlier but I've spent all morning wondering where the weekend went.

I expect the Grub Clubbers are several pounds heavier around the waist and several hundred pounds lighter in the wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Afternoon All,

I would have posted earlier but I've spent all morning wondering where the weekend went.

I expect the Grub Clubbers are several pounds heavier around the waist and several hundred pounds lighter in the wallet.
      Nah, portion size isn't really a selling point in those kind of places.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Nah, portion size isn't really a selling point in those kind of places.
        smaller portion = larger bill
        Join IPSE

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Links are linked, for those who like links

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
            smaller portion = larger bill
            9 courses in one of the restaurants

The bill was a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              9 courses in one of the restaurants

The bill was a bit
              if contractors are going then it must have been
              Last edited by eek; 27 October 2014, 13:46.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                if contractors are going then it must have been
                It was. I fear I embarrassed the party by quibbling over a mere £25 for the tap water...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  It was. I fear I embarrassed the party by quibbling over a mere £45 for the tap water...
                  I would have done the same. Don't mind being charged for things but that is taking the mickey
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I would have done the same. Don't mind being charged for things but that is taking the mickey
                    Twas "only" £25. Conversion error. They did remove it.

Comment

As a non foodie imposter, I did enjoy it very much, and most of the food was both excellent and beautifully presented.

But some of it did feel a bit like The Emperor's New Clothes. The wines served were natural wines - low tech, made without interference. One wine in particular smelled a lot of eggy farts (I believe the technical term is sulphur). In a cheap restaurant, I would have refused it. If I'd opened it at home, I'd have poured it down the sink. But because it's being served in a top restaurant, I have to believe that's how it's supposed to smell. It tasted OK, but only if you didn't breathe in whilst drinking. I've always enjoyed wine using my nose.

Personally I think I preferred the first restaurant, although it was lovely to do the whole experience of the champagne, 9 course menu and wine pairing, dessert wine and schnapps.

But both restaurants were really great, the staff knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

I suppose if you were only going to do one of them, it would have to be the second for the whole experience, but if I was going back it would be the first that I'd prefer to revisit. Which doesn't sound like it makes much sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X