• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Meanwhile in the early to mid 1980s, Thatcher and her Cabinet Secretary, Robert Armstrong, have proved astonishingly incompetent at trying to keep anything to do with the security services secret, leading (among other things) to TV interviews with Peter Wright and Cathy Massiter and the acquittal of Clive Ponting; and now Peter Wright and his interviewer, Paul Greengrass of World in Action, have signed a contract with Heinemann Australia…
    Who'd have thunk the Great She Elephant was incompetent? .

Morning.

Grey.

Sunless.

At least one can see the other side of the valley today, Drummau included.

Cool in here at 19.7 deg, 21.5 deg in the kitchen, 19 deg in the leanto.

1008 mBar, 29.76622 in Hg, 756.06 Torr, 14.619 psi, (untapped), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 8th of November 2019 WTFH was almost unretired, though there was a pause due to HR interference, whereas LM was still in Amsterdam & had sent HWMBO off to do some work to earn a crust or two, and I was doing the washing, though stuff wasn't drying very well on the line.

Shopping trip to Aldi & Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away. Half a packet of Aldi stoned dates duly consumed.

Lunch: there was.

Entertainment: Fringe S4 E16, E17.

Some gardening since it was a sunny afternoon. Her next door did some gardening too which is almost record breaking.

Tea: there was tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: Fringe S4 E18, E19: watched in bits since I hate ep 19. almost as much as S5.

Read more of "Spy who came in from the cold" and a few more pages on the Orange Moron, who, by this stage, had decided to run for President.

Bits of "Digging up Britain": pink hair in this one.

Thing about Alec Guinness on Sky Arts.

The extras on Fringe S4: you can tell it's on its way out by the lack of commentary etc. compared with S1, S2, & S3. Then again having ruined the story maybe it's not so surprising.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 September 2024, 22:40.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey start again, after some more overnight rain. Bit cooler today too: 15°C now with an expected high of 19°. The barometers are back up a bit though, at 1000/1008mB

I suspect I've picked up a bug in That London, though I also think it probably isn't Covid. Even before the plague years, I always seemed to get something when I went down there. I suspect people who live in London have immune systems that have configured themselves to handle a broader range of pathogens than those who live in the rest of the country, due to the daily exposure on the Underground to everything that's going around all crammed into a tiny compartment

Covid tests are negative at the moment, so fingers crossed

Comment

Lunch: a Pukka steak slice

I've identified a service station with a Greggs about halfway along my journey north tomorrow. The wedding venue is near Scotch Corner so it's a bit of a way to go, but a stop for a steak bake and a coffee should see me right

It's northbound only so no good for the journey back, but that will be happening not long after having a full English at the hotel, so I should be able to manage

Meanwhile, I'm still feeling a bit under the weather, but hoping it doesn't get any worse or start testing positive

Outside, it's been rather drizzly for the last hour or so

Comment

Once again, I had been thinking of going shopping. But it's still raining. However, I've realised that although Google Maps is uncertain whether I should head north on the A46 or the M1, either of those possibilities involves passing a Big Sainsbury's - either the usual one by the M1 junction, or the northern one I've hardly ever been to. So anything I need for the stay away can be picked up en route, along with filling the car up

There isn't anything else I need right away and the same conditions apply for the return journey, so I won't bother going today. Better off having a rest to defeat the lurgy

Back to previewing junctions on StreetView so I know how to get there…

Comment

Apparently the buyers of the parental home have said they'd like to be in by the end of the month!

Looks like my September of rest may include helping to get stuff into a skip

Comment

Tea: spag bol. Very nice

Accompanied by the latest episode of Secrets of the London Underground featuring Old Street, and also Siddy riding on top of a lift at Hampstead

The weather has cleared up, just in time for it to get dark

Comment

I've won £100 on the Premium Bonds!

Comment

Meanwhile in the 1980s, Thatcher and Armstrong are completely unable to grasp the notion that the Australian courts might not simply rubber-stamp whatever they say and as a result are making a complete hash of the Spycatcher case, with the judge absolutely livid over their repeated failure to comply with orders for disclosure by the time the case actually starts. Armstrong is about to be called. I wonder if it'll go well for him?

The lurgy has been eased by the use of paracetamol this afternoon, though that's wearing off now so I think I'll have a couple more before going to sleep. It makes it hard to determine if it's getting any better, but I don't think it's got any worse. Anyway, I'll just have to see how I am in the morning

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                    sunny and warm.
                    my rental is a Citroen C3 Aircross with 40,500km on the clock and sounds very tappety around 2,100 revs. While the engine still manages to produce a bit of grunt, it is let down by a gearbox which is less responsive than a mod to a reported post.
                    now just need to google the speed limits in Italy before going to the client site.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I've won £100 on the Premium Bonds!
                      Got an email saying I'd won something on the Euro-millions

£2.20
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X