• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My afternoon meeting with the SpannerHead started off dry, but then we had a bit of precipitation (for a change). Dried off in time for the last conf call of the day.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tea: roast turkey and chips

No Christmas leftovers: I got a thigh and a drumstick, which have been roasted with a bunch of veg (carrots, parsnips, onions) and the whole lot (well, not the bones and cartilage) will be used to make turkey soup. But there's loads of it so it made sense to carve some of the meat off for a meal

Comment

TFBSZ

Comment

The programme about the Highways Agency (or whatever they're called these days) was tonight's only viewing. And later, I read more of A Pattern of Islands

And there's been a bunch of emailing back and forth with my siblings about orders of service, catering for the wake, and so on

Still run down from this cold but the other symptoms have pretty much gone now, so with a bit of luck I'll be getting back to what passes for normal soon

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Some wispy cloud but otherwise quite clear sky. Damp from overnight rain. Wind has died down again. Currently 5 degrees ('feels like' 3) with a high of 8 expected. Further rain forecast from lunchtime onwards. Barometer up to 1005 mBar.

Up early to head to C&W hospital's research centre for another flu trial check up. Last in person appointment for about 6 months.

Comment

Morning denizens

Fairly clear start, though it's going to cloud over very quickly, it seems. Currently 5°C and not getting past 7°, as we start to move towards the cold weather of the weekend and after. The barometers are up a bit at 989/997mB

First action on getting up today was to set the turkey soup going in the slow cooker. Turns out the drumstick leg is too long. I've stripped everything off it that I can, and will see if the bits that remain can be dealt with by switching the appliance to its higher setting and popping the meaty end in there for an hour or so while the other end props the lid open a little

Comment

Morning all
                A chilly 4oC when we went out earlier (our cars have ice on them), but clear skies were a pleasant change.
                Just been told there's a weather warning for heavy rain at midday. Plus ca change.

Comment

Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Blue sky.

Sun apparently emerging.

Chilly in here at 12.6 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 10 deg in the leanto.

Windows misted up on the inside, along with the leanto roof.

999 mBar, 29.5 in Hg, 749.3116 Torr, 14.4893 psi, (up from 997 last night), 72% RH (GDR hair), 69% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 13th of August 2019 it was warm in here at 20 deg, WTFH was gardening away under blue skies, and Diver had a new job according to reports.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the grey gloom (where did the blue skies go?).

Yesterday I was sweating on the way home from Tesco, today, despite an extra layer it took half an hour before my hands warmed up.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: that irritating "just one more thing" thing on R4 <click>.

A brief moment of the thing about Septic presidential elections on R4. Well if you must elect a fecking king then don't complain about it.

Freecell score: 100% (of 17) running average: 86%.

Nothing to declare: no frog fat but plenty of food.

Nothing to declare: no frog fat but plenty of food II.

Freecell score: 94%, running average: 86% (85.97%).

Tea: there was tea.

Entertainment: if there is any I ain't found it yet.

Book.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 January 2024, 19:50.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    First action on getting up today was to set the turkey soup going in the slow cooker. Turns out the drumstick leg is too long. I've stripped everything off it that I can, and will see if the bits that remain can be dealt with by switching the appliance to its higher setting and popping the meaty end in there for an hour or so while the other end props the lid open a little
                    Sounds like that scene from Fargo with the wood chipper

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Sounds like that scene from Fargo with the wood chipper
                      Fairly similar, yes

The soup has been moved into phase two now, so the bones have been discarded. And with that done, time for lunch: some cold cocktail sausages and salted potato chipsticks

I was a bit disappointed with the sausages. They're new TTD pork & apple ones from Sainsbury's, but I found the flavour somewhat lacking and wasn't that keen on the slightly fibrous texture either. Ah well, we live and learn

Comment

Working...
                      X