• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you're mending well, NF. Once you seek medical help, it will be recorded that you've "had a fall" and you'll be classed as old and doddery

Comment

Morning denizens

The dawn is not just salmon-coloured, it's M&S salmon-coloured. There's been rain overnight, it seems, but I slept through it, awaking without an alarm on the stroke of seven. It's currently dry but with showers expected around lunchtime; currently 8°C and getting to 10° later. The barometers are down a bit at 986/994mB

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Hope you're mending well, NF. Once you seek medical help, it will be recorded that you've "had a fall" and you'll be classed as old and doddery
        Yes, I've been practising saying "I tripped and fell" to avoid falling into the trap of saying "I had a fall"

Comment

Morning all
          The start of our walk earlier was very dark, and precipitous.
          It cleared as we went on, and by the time we turned for home, there were a few stars visible in the twilight.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Yes, I've been practising saying "I tripped and fell" to avoid falling into the trap of saying "I had a fall"
            Sounds like it's time for a call to a no win no fee type scumbag to sue the council for their ill repaired footpath..

Morning.

Tuesday.

Torrential overnight but currently devoid of precipitation.

Grey.

Dank.

Dark.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 13 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 12.5 deg in the leanto.

993 mBar, 29.3232 in Hg, 744.811 Torr, 14.4 psi, (down from 998 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 72% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 4th of August 2019, halcyon days, NF regaled us with a diary entry from the 1940s regarding a Mr McKay who was a scout troup leader rather too susceptible to the temptations of the flesh. .

Whereas I neglected, yesterday, to related the sad failure of the teapot lid due to metal fatigue in the hinge. At least the lid now fits properly even if it does fall off.

Even more upsetting I have almost reached the end of the Glengettie teabags with no sign whatsoever of any future stocks. I may have to resort to PG Tips or Tetley.

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 86%.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: TWATO. The Tea thing at 13:45, no opium wars today.

Freecell score: 77%, running average: 86%.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: Thing about the American NAZI party & it's German American Fuehrer.

Scotland Yard "The silent weapon".

Classic Literature & Cinema: myths & leg ends.

Maigret and the liberty bar S7 E2 1997.

Massive Engineering Mistakes: walkway collapse in Hyatt hotel Kansas City Missouri: how not to design walkways so the bolts pull out and kill 114 people. Sink hole in San Antonio Tx caused by sewer renovations that left a steel pipe in place for months, said pipe being dissolved by acid, leading to two cars ending up down a hole, killing one. Sheffield uni science hub building on the site of a filled in reservoir where the piling proved inadequate to holding the building up: demolish & rebuild. Ames, Iowa, US30 to I35 interchange: piers built too high with the mounting bolts for the decking in the wrong place: chop enough off the piers to make them right, then rebuilt with the bolts in the correct position. GPS measurement error.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 December 2023, 18:49.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

The ground is damp but the sky is mostly clear - just some high level wispy fluff to make it look interesting. Currently 9 degrees with a high of 11 expected. Some rain forecast mid morning but it's looking unlikely from my vantage point. Barometer down to 1001 mBar.

Not feeling very enthused by the prospect of doing work this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I did that a few years ago - the discovery was I tripped over a step that was maximum 1 inch high because I have a habit of dragging my feet and not lifting them very far
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Lunch has been tandoori chicken thigh fillets in a wholemeal bap with a bag of plain crisps. Nice enough

I gather that a paving slab need to be more than an inch higher or lower than it should be for legal action to be viable, so I don't think I have a case - it'll be dismissed as me dragging my feet too

Comment

My 5pm handover was moved by the other guy.
                    ...he moved it to 1pm.

Handover complete.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So much for me thinking the rain was unlikely. What was forecast as a brief shower around 11am has turned into several hours of deluge.

And I need to go out to Tesco to buy some fruit cake ingredients.

Comment

Working...
                      X