• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's me done for the day

Still very grey out, and may rain a bit shortly.

Last day tomorrow for most of the team. TBH, it'll be a bit of a relief not having to help anybody else - for whatever's left to do, I'd rather just do it myself

And the chap in charge of my next team is happy with me taking a week off in a couple of weeks. This depends entirely on how well the remaining stuff on this project goes, but it certainly gives me a major incentive to get things sorted out, as I won't be able to take the time off unless the relevant people are happy it won't cause a calamitous delay to anything

Going to do the shopping in a bit, once the rush hour has died down. I might have to take the outer ring road route, as somebody got stabbed to death a few hundred yards up the road from the old flat last night and if the resultant road closure is still in place, it'll be doing terrible things to the traffic in that area

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Going to do the shopping in a bit, once the rush hour has died down. I might have to take the outer ring road route, as somebody got stabbed to death a few hundred yards up the road from the old flat last night and if the resultant road closure is still in place, it'll be doing terrible things to the traffic in that area
      The road had reopened and the traffic had largely cleared, so I went that way. The chestnut tree is just starting to turn, but the most exciting news is that the Polish café has got a new sign! Very classy looking sign too

Onwards to Big Sainsbury's where I'd been nominated as solitary mask wearer again. Got the shopping done, and filled the car up, and so home via the VAT fraud chip shop. And thus tea has been Pukka chicken & mushroom pie and chips

Now catching up on the opal hunters, which I'd recorded while I was out

Comment

No goodnight post? Just shows how knackered I was feeling

Anyway, the opal hunters had their varying wins, failures, and mechanical troubles; followed by Police Interceptors :

A good night's sleep was had, and most importantly: it's Friday!

It's turned from a grey-looking to a sunny start out as the sun rose above the neighbouring blocks, including the garage of the Super Monkey Car. Currently 12°C and reaching 18° later, while the barometers are back up a little at 1003/1010mB

I suppose I'll need to spend a chunk of the day reviewing the other devs' code and docs to make sure I have everything I need from them before they clock off for the last time this afternoon. Shame, as I'm quite enjoying getting into Terraform for deploying AWS infrastructure; it's different enough from what we've been working on for the past six months to make a refreshing change

Comment

Morning all

Dull damp start but looks like it might be brightening up. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 19 expected with a sunny afternoon beckoning. Barometer up a touch to 1016 mBar.

Need to pack for holiday.

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Sunny.

Bright.

Blue sky.

Chilly in here at 17.9 deg, 19 deg in the kitchen, 16.5 deg in the leanto, 13.8 deg in the salting house.

1014 mBar, 29.94 in Hg, 760.56 Torr, 14.71 psi, (up from 1004 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 15th of July 2019 scruff was agent oranging the garden whilst I was busily spring cleaning again.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM, during which I put my back out, so pegging smalls out was inneresting.

Shirts in the WM. Forgot to press "Start" due to back trauma, so that's delayed matters somewhat.

Shirts out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Cottons in the WM.

Walk (slightly abbreviated with pitstop halfway) walked in the sunshine.

Shirts in off the line and awaiting the attention of the iRon.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

A light shower just to piss me off, in which, it succeeded.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: the last 5 minutes of some thing about Henry Lincoln.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001q0kj

TWATO waffling on about lunes crossing the Med.

Hannah Fry waffling on about graphs and such.

Shirts and associated cottons in off the line & roughly iRoned whilst listening to the archive hour thing about Henry Lincoln, with contributions by Rat Scabies, whoever the feck he is.

Smalls in off the line & airing upstairs.

Bed remade. I'm almost reconciled to fitted sheets.

Entertainment: "More or Less" repeat. PM.

Tea: soup.

Entertainment:

JoP. JoP.

Dial 999 E29 "Deadly Blackmail". Gosh. Tracking a suitcase of money with a radio transmitter.

More bollox on Blaze: Strangest Things: Jericho skull. Wilhelm Reich & the Cloudbuster. The Map.

What on earth? more sat photos.

The Swedish Customs thing on something or other. Hope that no cats get offed this week.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 September 2023, 20:29.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Not as busy as I thought I might have been today

I've managed to get a good bit of Terraform stuff sorted out, and I suppose I ought to review the final commits from the other devs who finish today. But I pretty much know what they've been up to, and the Terraform stuff is more interesting

Lunch was Heinz tomato soup and white toast

Comment

The sun has come out and is reflecting off my monitor so I've had to close the blind so as not to go blind. I really should rearrange my desk.

Had a meeting with the new 'Head of Product' who got to hear me complaining about how the team I'm in has no strategy or direction due to it not having a Product Manager owning its deliverables. Made it clear I was not interested in becoming that PM. Remains to be seen whether that's sounded the death knell for my contract (I'm half hopeful but, you never know, they might punish me by offering an extension).

Comment

That's me done for the week

I get the sun coming through my window too, though my monitors have their backs to it and the desk is on the inside of the room, so it only becomes a problem as the sun has got lower and gets through the gaps between them and shines in my eyes; so around six months of the year

Those who finished today have finished, and I managed to be reasonably productive this afternoon

I also decided to strip the bed, so that's airing and will have to be remade before it gets late

Comment

Roast gammon with chips, fried eggs and beans for tea

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I also decided to strip the bed, so that's airing and will have to be remade before it gets late
                      This bright idea was predicated on the notion that I had clean bedding with which to remake the bed. Upon investigation, however, it transpired that the alternate bedding was neatly folded from its last removal, and awaiting its turn in the washing machine

There is a third set, but it's rather old and the fitted sheet doesn't fit the depth of this mattress. So I bit the bullet and put the alternate through the washer-dryer. As past experience has taught me that it's better to dry the duvet cover separately, it being of a rather heavy weave, it took quite some time to get it all done and dried

Anyway… tonight's major motion picture premiere was one of those ones that everybody but me has seen: Rocky (1976) which it turns out is very good

I wasn't aware that Sylvester Stallone also wrote it. You learn something new every day

And then one I hadn't rewatched in a good while but which was close alphabetically: RoboCop (1987) which is very good in its way. But stop-motion animation really stands out nowadays, given that we're spoiled by silky smooth graphics

The heavy-weave duvet cover was still drying at this stage, so that was enough of an excuse for a rewatch of The Accountant (2016) - not that one needs an excuse

And the bed is now made, so time for it

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X