• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon all

Scorchio! High level cloud but it's not exactly blocking the sun out much. Currently 29 degrees and it might drop below 20 overnight. Barometer down to 1018 mBar.

Busy morning. Mainly spent figuring out problems with reports that turned out to be because when tables are having major updates the Data Engineer likes to empty it and reload it. This causes customer complaints and my team are once again blamed for something that isn't our fault because there are no change processes at this company to (a) inform people of changes and (b) schedule such changes to out of hours.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Really need to find another contract - because I've become the go to bug fixer on this one....
    I can heartily sympathise. I am mainly the person who validates bug reports, with 90% being PEBKAC and 8 of the remaining 10% being nothing to do with my team but the perception is that the platform is always right and it's the reports that are wrong.

Comment

What's a pali? I've forgotten.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        What's a pali? I've forgotten.
        it's a thingummy dooberry whatsit

Comment

The cable in the mechanism for reclining my recliner has snapped

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I can heartily sympathise. I am mainly the person who validates bug reports, with 90% being PEBKAC and 8 of the remaining 10% being nothing to do with my team but the perception is that the platform is always right and it's the reports that are wrong.
            Today's example was

You've fixed this bug so I'm going to mutate this bug into this completely irrelevant different one (nope - it's a new bug create 1).
            12 hours later he creates it
            2 hours after that I ask him to add details and screenshots
            2 hours after that he adds a screenshot - screenshot clearly shows no telephone number..
            Waits 10 minutes and hassles me as to where the fix is
            I spent 2 hours hunting for the code (as this ain't my area)
            Then discover the code says if telephone number is listed show button - and his screenshot doesn't have a phone number so no button exists.

End point if the tester had actually checked the specification I wouldn't have wasted half a day fixing a none existent bug....

I did however discover 4 other bugs while hunting this one (none of which had been picked up by this tester) - so I've added those to the backlog, assigned them to the appropriate team (as high priority because I can) and referenced the tester's name against all of them...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tea has been corned beef hash, which was very nice indeed; so much so that I ended up having seconds with the portion I'd left for tomorrow's lunch

The bicycle racing is back, so no opal hunters. They must have been having a rest day yesterday

Ah well, Secrets of the London Underground is on in a bit - last episode of this series

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                The cable in the mechanism for reclining my recliner has snapped
                This was one of the only things I've ever bought where I decided to get the extended warranty; I can't actually remember why. So I put a claim in.

But now I've had time to Google around, and it looks as if it can be fixed extremely easily with parts costing less than a tenner off Amazon. So I might just do that and cancel the claim. I'll tip it up and have a look at the mechanism tomorrow when there's some daylight to work with and, assuming it's similar enough to the several mechanisms on the YouTube videos I just watched, it would take five minutes or so to do it myself

Comment

Due to cycling happening, viewing tonight was some police thing on All4 and the Underground programme. Also a bunch of YouTube videos about chairs

Early night now to make the most of what might be the last bearable night of the week, judging by the weather warnings

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Full-on season of mists and mellow fruitfulness out there now, as the morning starts out foggy - quite a decent fog too, not just a few wisps. Currently 15°C and expected to reach 28° later, so it won't remain very autumnal. The barometers are hovering around the same sort of level as the last couple of days at 1008/1016mB

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Warm in here at 21.9 deg, 23 deg in the kitchen, 21 deg in the leanto.

1013 mBar, 29.91 in Hg, 759.8 Torr, 14.692323 psi, (up from 1010 last night), 76% RH (GDR hair), 77% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 8th of July 2019 much cleaning was underway in StrangeloveTowers, with defunct tvs being ferried down the garden in the wheelbarrow, assorted films watched, whereas LM had a G&T, and NF had ribs & chips for tea & listened to some "Jethro Tull".

In an unusual fit of enthusiasm the garage was entered & some gross rearrangement means that access to some boxes of books has been achieved. Found the copy of "Spycatcher" and "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith of .357 & .44 mag fame. Plus a shedload of railway tomes that can meet Oxfam when I get a round tuit.

Plus some databooks that I hadn't sent to paper rec.

And Strangelove Pater's collection of "Picture Post" from the 30s/40s.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato (hope that black spot doesn't kill me) on toasted crust of whatever that bread is, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, yellow corner yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about stuff until it reached <click>.

Stone me, those plastic boxes are fecking heavy with all those books in them.

Thought I'd got shot of all the databooks but there's a fair number still there which I've chosen to retain in the unlikely event I ever need to look for surface mount Siemens transistors & diodes & suchlike.

For some reason I've retained the ancient Tandy catalogues too, and the Verospeed, I'd forgotten they were acquired by RS.

Threw other stuff away & extracted some more books to reread & dispose of.

Tea: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, some pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Joy of Painting. was strong in this one.

Joy of Painting. fairly strong in this.

Ghosts US. The one where Thor has a date with Flower.

The Unexplained with the WWWC's avatar on Blaze: Biblical references: The Flood, Sodom & Gomorrah.

Neil Oliver waffling on about Neolithic stuff: Age of Cosmology.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 September 2023, 20:20.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X