• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Do you have a remote desktop thingy set up so you can help him from far away if necessary? I'm thinking of doing that for my dad; although he generally manages Firefox and Thunderbird quite well, he does pick up extensions of dubious intention from time to time
    Good point, I don’t have any Remote Desktop setup for him. Any advice on what to do?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Good point, I don’t have any Remote Desktop setup for him. Any advice on what to do?
      … turns out Google do a Remote Desktop.
      https://support.google.com/chrome/an...form%3DAndroid
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon all

Sunny with wispy cloud. Currently 5 degrees and it might get up to 6. Barometer up a touch to 1023 mbar.

Busy day at the coal face after my sick day yesterday and day off Friday.

I use Team Viewer for my parents - occasionally they cut you off with claims of "you're using it for commercial purposes" and you fill in a form and they re-enable your account.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

… turns out Google do a Remote Desktop.
          https://support.google.com/chrome/an...form%3DAndroid
          That'll probably do. Assuming he's Windows, I'm not sure how to set it up at his end, though I believe the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client (which you'd use from your end) is free. If Windows has something like a "Sharing" control panel, it'll probably be in there, though it might also be in Networking and could involve installing some component that isn't installed by default.

Comment

Quite a productive morning. In the spirit of measuring what you can manage, I wanted to get a proper estimate of how long it's going to take me to move the contents of the bookcases. As I have a half-width one (40cm), I figured seeing how much of that would fit in the three really big boxes would be a good guide.

So I took them down to the car, then started by taking a smallish box of books down and transferring the contents. This still made my back wag a warning finger at me, so I switched to plan B: fill a couple of bags-for-life and take them down, and that turns out to be the ideal solution

It transpired that in (IIRC) five trips down, the contents of the half-width bookcase nicely filled the three boxes with the leftovers fitting in the bags for life, all of which makes for a perfectly manageable carload and easy unpacking with the assistance of the sack truck at the other end

So the remaining three bookcases will require a couple of trips each. Some of the shelves are double-stacked, but a lot of them are comparatively small paperbacks (there were a number of larger hardbacks on the half-width one). Say seven or eight trips in all. No problem

And before getting into all that, I also got the mundane laundry done on a quick wash cycle, and draped

Now my lunchtime soup is in the microwave, and I might move assorted other junk this afternoon, just to give my back a rest; or maybe I'll get some more books over there, ready for the arrival of additional bookcases in the big Ikea delivery on Thursday

Comment

Just emailed over my notice on this flat. I'd better get stuff shifted

Comment

........... and TPD is unborked again

Comment

I decided that I'd do another book run instead, so a load more are now over there and a number of shelves here are looking a lot emptier

I shifted most of the O'Reilly and PragProg books, which are surprisingly heavy en masse - I assume it's because they're printed on high quality paper. I noticed this morning that various large books of historic maps and art also weigh more than you'd expect, for the same reason.

I was just about to leave when I spotted an actual postman, delivering mail to the art deco block across the square from mine - a rare sight these days! (The postman, not the art deco block, which has been there for about ninety years.) So I hung around until he made it to mine and delivered the letter I've been waiting for since last week, confirming the final details of the initial mortgage payment. There was also a letter from the solicitor confirming that now they've had all my money they don't need any more (or words to that effect), and two identical letters from Royal Mail confirming the mail redirection I set up. So I shall now be checking the post here, as and when we finally get some, to make sure they haven't messed up and delivered any of mine

The bags-to-boxes system is still operating satisfactorily; I noticed this time that the thing that made my back complain a bit was when I was at the other end, unpacking the books on to the floor of the room that will be my study. Once I have some bookcases in place, that shouldn't be so much of a problem

Comment

Ribs and chips for tea

Comment

The car programme earlier was ignored as it was part two of the nonsense they started yesterday, doing silly things to a vehicle that had never done them any harm

But the gold diggers all seemed to do quite well, which made a nice change

Then a bit of Police Interceptors whilst dining

And finally a couple of Air Crash Investigations: Metrojet Flight 9268 which was probably bombed, and Thai Airways International Flight 311 which flew into a mountain in Nepal after the captain got confused and flew in a complete circle, resulting in it heading north when he thought it was going south

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X