• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh, I like local history. We had a lot of iron workings in Wealdon near me up until the 17th century.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lunch: the last of the really nice Scotch broth, with multiseed bread

Comment

We discover more and more local history everytime a sink hole opens up to remind us where the mines used to be.

It's very instructive to look on the Coal Authority map thingie & turn on the "mine entry" tick box.

https://mapapps2.bgs.ac.uk/coalauthority/home.html

You have to zoom in quite close, then the tick box ungreys.

Around here the map turns red in patches.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

Mild enough out that not only did I not need a scarf, hat or gloves, I didn't even bother with a jumper and was none the worse for it

Comment

*tap* *tap*

Comment

Tea has been chicken casserole with a strong bias towards onion flavours and some thyme, and it was very nice indeed

This was made in the Remoska. The technique I adopt with that is to sauté the onion and brown the chicken thighs on the hob, then stick them in the Remoska with the sauce and leave to cook for thirty or forty minutes. Then potato, sliced into discs maybe a quarter of an inch thick, is spread in a layer over the top of the stuff, any fat left in the pan from browning poured over that if needed, then salt, pepper and a bit of dried thyme sprinkled on top. But the key is that the sauce should, at this point, come up to just about the top of the potato layer, or maybe just over. Then, as it cooks over the next forty to fifty minutes, the sauce cooks the potato but reduces at the same time, dropping towards the bottom; and the thin layer of fat that's floating on it starts to fry the top. So you end up with a layer of potato that's got a nice crispy top and is well cooked underneath. Scoop that layer off onto the plate, grab a couple of thighs with sufficient sauce, and away you go

You can do something similar in a normal casserole in the oven by leaving the lid off towards the end of cooking, but the top-down heat of the Remoska always seems to do a better job of it

Comment

TFBSZ
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Busy day at the coal face.

Discovered another 'feature' of SharePoint - hurray.

Managed to finish work with enough time to put my face on and get to White City with HWMBO. We were off to Wood Lane, where the spruced up area around the BBC TV centre now has posh cinemas and nice eateries, to see the fillum Nightmare Alley (2021) at the Electric Cinema. Very enjoyable film and a nice dinner was had beforehand at Kricket.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Managed to finish work with enough time to put my face on and get to White City with HWMBO. We were off to Wood Lane, where the spruced up area around the BBC TV centre now has posh cinemas and nice eateries, to see the fillum Nightmare Alley (2021) at the Electric Cinema. Very enjoyable film and a nice dinner was had beforehand at Kricket.
                    I remember it being a fairly shabby neck of the woods when I worked briefly at TV Centre in 1999, though I did get to see that blonde bird out of EastEnders waiting for a cab outside, and then Kate Adie walking across that car park out the front with her dry cleaning

As it was Groundhog Day, I watched Groundhog Day (1993), which I think I haven't watched on the eponymous day for several years. It's excellent

And then I watched the rest of the McCartney 3,2,1 thing, which is full of wonderful things but I can't be bothered to post all the links right now. Sorry; but watch it if you can and you think you'd like it, because you'll love it

Then Disney+ suggested I watch some dramatisation of the life of Albert Einstein, and it's the most godawful clumsy dramatisation of anything I've ever seen. I'm going to watch the rest of it just to see how much they can **** it up

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                      It was lovely out earlier, but hopefully the weather I can see out the office window is heading north.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X