• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Respect!

ROBOTS.TXT

Respect!

(why do we have to do this?)

Because of the Robots Exclusion Standard (or Protocol, depending on who you talk to).

It stops spiders indexing stuff they're not supposed to. Effective use of it can be of great importance in SEO.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Anybody there?
      Not yet... still stuck in the past... nearly there...
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        :d
        Why isn't my smiley working?
        How weird.

On my post that says :d, I'm using a capital d, yet it keeps changing it to lower case when I save it.
        What does its contract say about out of hours support? Perhaps the smiley does not have an overtime rate and so is refusing to turn up.

It's probably off out having a curry with its workmates.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

What does its contract say about out of hours support? Perhaps the smiley does not have an overtime rate and so is refusing to turn up.

It's probably off out having a curry with its workmates.
          Feckin contractors
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It stops spiders indexing stuff they're not supposed to. Effective use of it can be of great importance in SEO.
            I really need to work on mine, actually.

The same posts are available through multiple URLs. I'm not sure which are the best to restrict the spiders to, although I suspect that the categories route might be one of the most diluting to the uniqueness of the content's identity, as represented as a URL.

Comment

My Windows laptop has all this proxy stuff already set up running in Tomcat, but the power supply lead broke, the battery went flat, and I haven't sorted it out yet.

That was over a year ago, when I bought my MacBook.

Wonder if I've got a backup... probably... I actually needed the proxy for testing a mobile version of the site, using live data, without any connection to the client's network - I was working from home.

Well done!

Comment

Well done!
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Because of the Robots Exclusion Standard.

It stops spiders indexing stuff they're not supposed to.
                  Riiiiight. So we employ robots to keep the naughty spiders at bay.

Okaaaayy.

Comment

What? Wassup?

Comment

My Windows laptop has all this proxy stuff already set up running in Tomcat, but the power supply lead broke, the battery went flat, and I haven't sorted it out yet.

That was over a year ago, when I bought my MacBook.

Wonder if I've got a backup... probably... I actually needed the proxy for testing a mobile version of the site, using live data, without any connection to the client's network - I was working from home.

Well done!
                      Ah, thank you; you've reminded me of what I was talking about.

So I used the browser on my WinCE handheld, routed via the TagSoup/XSLT proxy, to get the actual pages from the site and transform them into my intended markup for the mobile version.

Worked very well.

Comment

Working...
                      X