• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    You bought only the one?

Surely another was needed for stock in case the new one lasts mere seconds.

EverReady light bulbs, I'm looking at you, you useless pieces of crap.

MTTF of 8 bulbs from the same batch: 10 seconds (at a generous estimate).
    It occurred to me as I crossed the road back that I should have got more, but I wasn’t hanging around waiting for the crossing again

Comment

The most impressive thing about the Eveready crapola light bulbs was the way the ones that lasted longer than 10 seconds then exploded at end of life because they were unfused.

The fuse in a lightbulb is the bit that blows when the 100A arc initiates when the bulb filament finally dies.

If there isn't a fuse then the 100A arc takes out the main breaker and the glass bulb detonates all over the floor leaving the bayonet cap in the fitting which requres a pair of pliers to extract, preferably after you've turned the light switch off.

I have no idea where they were made but I'd bet it was some tuliphole in China*.

*Other tuliphole locations are commonly available and all are best avoided.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        The most impressive thing about the Eveready crapola light bulbs was the way the ones that lasted longer than 10 seconds then exploded at end of life because they were unfused.

The fuse in a lightbulb is the bit that blows when the 100A arc initiates when the bulb filament finally dies.

If there isn't a fuse then the 100A arc takes out the main breaker and the glass bulb detonates all over the floor leaving the bayonet cap in the fitting which requres a pair of pliers to extract, preferably after you've turned the light switch off.

I have no idea where they were made but I'd bet it was some tuliphole in China*.

*Other tuliphole locations are commonly available and all are best avoided.
        I assume this doesn’t happen with LED ones?

Though there seems to be something about our electrics here (which date back to the 1980s) that makes LED ones go quite quickly - this last bulb in the kitchen has only lasted about a year or two

Comment

Afternoon all

Today - visit to Merry Hill Shopping Centre

Lunch - KFC

MrsAG bought more bedding !!!

Weather - Grey to start with, bright sunshine now 9 Degrees, dark at 6pm now
          Married

Comment

Sunny out now

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I assume this doesn’t happen with LED ones?
              Nah it only happens with proper tungsten bulbs, gas filled ones at that.

The new fangled LEDs just let out the magic smoke in an unimpressive fashion.

It's been sunnyish here too.

Lovely day for a walk, if only it were possible.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Which channel was that on? Is it on catch up?
                I downloaded it from BBC iPlayer

BBC Four - Timeshift, Series 16, Bridging the Gap: How the Severn Bridge Was Built

First aired in 2016 but has 25 days left to view it so must have been recently repeated somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Does she have to be nubile?
                  No, I was just making sure no-one would think I was volunteering, as I wouldn't wish that on anyone
                  Last edited by ladymuck; 3 March 2020, 16:54.

Comment

Sky looks clear here. Will find out properly soon as I'm just about to leave the office

Comment

Walk walked. Mrs Scruff more hasty than I was, but at least the sun was shining, crocus and Daffs everywhere. Back on my bench and the 'Tube.
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X