• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    “Dust mice” sounds better; more of a Brothers Grimm feel to it than “bunnies”, which has a sort of Disney quality
    In German they are called Wollmäuse (meaning: wool mice).
    Jawohl!

Which has reminded me of the ex mouse I found under the burner of the central heating boiler.

It had been there some time.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 December 2019, 23:04.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Back on the Bonds tonight, starting with A View to a Kill (1985). A bit chronic, and by all accounts much disliked by all involved. Still less insulting to the intelligence (or even British Intelligence) than Octopussy though

And to follow, as in real life, The Living Daylights (1987), with Timothy Dalton taking on the mantle. A considerable improvement, though that wouldn’t have been too hard, with more vim and vigour; they clearly felt a bit liberated by having a younger star and able to get things moving again after the sclerotic feel of the previous two. The bits that pass for humour are still a bit laboured, but the whole thing chugs along fairly well.

Interesting to see the mujahideen in Afghanistan portrayed as the noble Resistance to the foreign (i.e. Russian) incursion; I believe we’re expected to view them differently now the foreign incursion is US led, but the Resistance is the Resistance, and if it’s you they’re resisting, you should probably be taking a long hard look at yourself

I think that, if anything, the Bond-makers went too far with the thing about not taking themselves too seriously during this period, and have only improved during the Daniel Craig era by being a bit more serious. The end of Skyfall is pretty short on bad jokes about “women’s lib” and vodka martinis, and all the better for it.

Anyway, only a few more to go before getting back to the good ones

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all if all there be

Warm.

Grey grey grey grey grey.

No current preciptation.

Saturday apparently though exactly how one might determine that is beyond me, other than the Today prog starting at 07:00.

I've just developed a pain in my right shoulder blade.

Maybe I'm left right swapped & it's sommat serious.

Comment

Morning all about to take The Dog (tw) out for a walk along the beach. Heading home later (or maybe tomorrow, who knows)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

morning

grey
            dull
            meh

Comment

Good morning gentlefolk

Slow day today, pootling about not doing much.

Dark and overcast, it's unlikely we will go out.

When working yesterday I realised that, by spending Christmas Eve alternating between the toilet and dozing on the sofa, I am a bit behind on the work I wanted to get completed. So I'll do a few hours today and tomorrow to redress the balance. I've billed for the day I had the squits so it's only right and proper to do the work.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey day out, but dry, and not too chilly at a reported 9°C

The Polish café, which remained closed yesterday, appears to be open for business again

Comment

Walk was walked

Shopping trip down to town done.

Most of the charity emporia were shut which saved me at least £3.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    HWMBO is better. I made him two turkey sandwiches and he's opened the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Sadly he decided to cancel lunch tomorrow but all his friends are happy to go without him. A bit like BP organising the Xmas Do and not turning up, leaving us all to talk about him...

Oops
                      I was so gutted. I bet it was a fabulous night. But I bet I was hardly mentioned - I am sure there are far more interesting things to talk about.

Still, there is always next year.....

Comment

Working...
                      X