• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the first part of Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History this afternoon. Very interesting but doesn't really start with the cause of the Troubles, when Ireland was partitioned, more about the increase in Catholic unhappiness at being marginalised in N. Ireland some time later. Maybe the history will be drip fed in over subsequent episodes.

Ad Astra was an enjoyable film. Slow paced, which brought it some criticism, but I liked it. It's not a space adventure, all action film. Quite the opposite in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Watched the first part of Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History this afternoon. Very interesting but doesn't really start with the cause of the Troubles, when Ireland was partitioned, more about the increase in Catholic unhappiness at being marginalised in N. Ireland some time later. Maybe the history will be drip fed in over subsequent episodes.

Ad Astra was an enjoyable film. Slow paced, which brought it some criticism, but I liked it. It's not a space adventure, all action film. Quite the opposite in fact.
      i'd rather forget the Troubles, myself.

so Ad Astra Was arduous after all?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        In the Chinese
        And very nice too, as always

Got rained on a bit there and back, though

Looking out the window, I see it's still raining, with an air of having settled in for the long haul.

Comment

Raining old women & stick here, the added murrain of beasts being sufficient to lead to small rivers of water running down both sides of the road.

I suspect they join up towards the bottom of the road.

Feck me, it's getting nasty out there.

Ah, the rivers are no longer muddy which implies it's not running down the hill from the fields any more.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 September 2019, 21:34.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            i'd rather forget the Troubles, myself.

so Ad Astra Was arduous after all?
            I didn't think it arduous personally but I can see how critics said that.

Comment

Whatever happened to Wxman?

Anyone know?

Did he get too close to a tornado?

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Raining old women & stick here, the added murrain of beasts being sufficient to lead to small rivers of water running down both sides of the road.

I suspect they join up towards the bottom of the road.

Feck me, it's getting nasty out there.

Ah, the rivers are no longer muddy which implies it's not running down the hill from the fields any more.
                Been like that most of the night here, too. Though there aren't any hills to speak of in the immediate vicinity, so that's one less thing to worry about

First on the silver screen tonight was Serenity (2005). Turns out this is a kind of followup to the TV series Firefly after that was cancelled, so there were some references in there I didn't get, not having watched the show. I've got it, just never watched it, so maybe I should have done that first, but it's too late now. Anyway, it's fairly standard space freedom fighter stuff, so OK if that's what you're after.

After that: Frantic (1988), in which Harrison Ford's wife (or probably an actress pretending) mysteriously vanishes from their Paris hotel room and he has to work out who's taken her and why. Again, fairly standard missing person thriller stuff for the most part, but good of its ilk, with a few standout moments.

And then a further episode of Breaking Bad: 4 Days Out (2009)

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Been like that most of the night here, too. Though there aren't any hills to speak of in the immediate vicinity, so that's one less thing to worry about

First on the silver screen tonight was Serenity (2005). Turns out this is a kind of followup to the TV series Firefly after that was cancelled, so there were some references in there I didn't get, not having watched the show. I've got it, just never watched it, so maybe I should have done that first, but it's too late now. Anyway, it's fairly standard space freedom fighter stuff, so OK if that's what you're after.

After that: Frantic (1988), in which Harrison Ford's wife (or probably an actress pretending) mysteriously vanishes from their Paris hotel room and he has to work out who's taken her and why. Again, fairly standard missing person thriller stuff for the most part, but good of its ilk, with a few standout moments.
                  The rivers in the road have disappeared this morning.

However the marsh is full of water, I hope it's high tide*.

"Serenity" has resided in the pile since I bought it in (probably) 2008.

I wasn't keen on "Firefly" it being cowboys in space.

And "Frantic" got put in the player & taken out again after 10 minutes when I wasn't in the mood for it sometime earlier in the year.

Morning all if all there be

No current precipitation.**

Grey.

Gloomy.

Damp.

Dire.

Dreadful.

And Sunday to boot.

18.8 deg in here this morning.

My antique Maplin thermometer thing has died after a mere 35 years, following in the footsteps of the B&Q one that died after a mere 15 or so.

*It's ebbing and the high tide this evening is even higher.
                  Tide Times and Tide Chart for Swansea

** Drizzling now. but the marsh isn't full any more.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 September 2019, 08:27.

Comment

morning

dull

grey

dank

drizzly

meh

more tea is called for, i think

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      ** Drizzling now. but the marsh isn't full any more.
                      A quick trip down the garden has revealed that next door's garden and next door but 1's garden has about 3 or 4" of water sitting there.

Fortunately my garden is about 6" higher than theirs.

It's one of the joys of the gardens being a cut off oxbow.

The further down the lane you go the deeper it's likely to get.

I think I've got a photo somewhere of a JCB 6 or 7 doors down with water up to the mid point of the back wheels.

The chicken thighs and pork sausages are in the oven.

The prep for the rest is done.

The traumas of The Archers are a bit underwhelming.

The vaccing with the washed out filter seems to have picked up more crap than last week.

<hiatus>

Lunch today was roast chicken thighs & associated sausages.

It was very nice.

Can't be arsed to cook a whole chicken, it lasts far too long and I get bored with it.

Now rounding it all off with 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

<taps screen>

Is this thing working?

I see that blonde mother****er is still lying his arse off.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 September 2019, 12:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X