• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all a bit overcast out and quite windy, but at least it's not raining.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey out

Just as I was about to clamber into bed last night, the power went off. And on. And off. And continued, as the alarms up the road sounded, to go on and off - it'd come on for a brief moment, just enough to make an LED bulb start to brighten, then go off for about half a second

I assume that turning off and on rapidly like that probably isn't very good for electronics, or much else really, so I rushed round turning off various things such as the iMac at the wall. After a couple of minutes, the mad on-and-offness finally resolved itself into a steady "off" state, and I was able to get to sleep

I vaguely remember waking up because the bedside light came back on about 6am, turning it off, and going back to sleep. All seems OK now I've powered everything back up…

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        ^Didn't know you were an ST:NG fan, old chap.
        Yes indeed; I have the HD remaster on Blu-ray, including the redone special effects for all the exterior shots

I haven't made much headway with it because some episodes in S1 and S2 are so utterly dire that I felt the need to spend about half-an-hour online checking how bad they were before watching any of them, and skipping them if necessary. But the general consensus is that it's mainly safe from S3 onwards, so I'm going to get stuck in.

There's quite a few I've never seen as I didn't often watch it when it was first on, though I saw a fair few as and when the BBC repeated them or friends showed them on video.

Comment

The few ST dvds in the Strangelove collection include the ST Timetravel dvd box set, "Nemesis" which I've never watched, and couple of DS9 episodes off the front of some magazine thing or other, the one where Sisko ends up back in the glorious 1950s as a gentleman of color who writes science fiction.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Fan.../dp/B000CSUNLQ

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) - IMDb

"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" Far Beyond the Stars (TV Episode 1998) - IMDb

It's almost as good as the BTVS alternate reality ep where Bobby Hill appears as Buffy's doctor in a mental hospital.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Normal Again (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb

There.

A "Hill Street Blues" reference thrown in for good measure.

Oddly, I passed on the opportunity to buy several seasons of DS9 last Saturday, mostly due to lack of interest.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 March 2019, 11:40.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Lunch of a Dickinson & Morris pork pie, direct from Melton Mowbray (via Sainsbury's distribution network, so it's probably travelled ten times the 16 miles or so between here and D&M's shop in Melton)

Comment

Oddly, I passed on the opportunity to buy several seasons of DS9 last Saturday, mostly due to lack of interest.
              I read an article a while ago which argued that DS9 was the best of all the ST series (possibly this one, or maybe this one which recycles many of the same points).

While still inclined to the belief that it was often more like Coronation Street in space, this at least inspired me to have a look at its availability. Turns out they aren't going to remaster it in HD because they don't think there's enough money in it, so I probably won't bother with it

I've got TOS in HD as well

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I read an article a while ago which argued that DS9 was the best of all the ST series (possibly this one, or maybe this one which recycles many of the same points).

While still inclined to the belief that it was often more like Coronation Street in space, this at least inspired me to have a look at its availability. Turns out they aren't going to remaster it in HD because they don't think there's enough money in it, so I probably won't bother with it

I've got TOS in HD as well
                I'm sure Zeity's Wig Wearing War Criminal's wig looks lovely in HD. , not to mention the Lizard himself.

I was reading about the widescreen version of Bab5 showing lots of crew and equipment that was invisible on the 4:3 broadcast.

DS9 was better than Voyager, which spent far too much time with the Kaizon (sp?) and Kes or whatever the feck she was called.

Became much more interesting with the generously embosomed 7of9.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 March 2019, 14:12.

Comment

I'm sure Zeity's Wig Wearing War Criminal's wig looks lovely in HD. , not to mention the Lizard himself.

I was reading about the widescreen version of Bab5 showing lots of crew and equipment that was invisible on the 4:3 broadcast.

DS9 was better than Voyager, which spent far too much time with the Kaizon (sp?) and Kes or whatever the feck she was called.

Became much more interesting with the generously embosomed 7of9.
                  Who is this Zeity of whom you speak?

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                    Who is this Zeity of whom you speak?
                    Some nutjob or other who left in high dudgeon after NAT pissed him/her/it off beyond alien endurance apparently.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...cuk-zeity.html

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      We can now use
                      tables!
                      They come out a bit funny when you quote them.
                      They're fixed now

Tables ✔︎

Comment

Working...
                      X