• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently watching some nonsense about Oak Island and the lunes who appear to think there's buried treasure or something.

They are now looking for a lune to dive down a water filled shaft to 200 feet.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 August 2018, 07:32. Reason: the shaft is full of water hence the need for a diver
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's home cinema experience has been a rewatch of Ex Machina (2014), in which the idea underlying the Turing Test is adhered to rather more closely than the protagonist playing the part of C in said test expected.

In fact, it seemed as if he'd failed to understand Turing's 1950 paper, probably because he'd not actually read it and relied on widely-circulated misrepresentations of what it said. Spoiler alert for the film: as you are all no doubt aware, Turing's idea was that the machine would have successfully imitated intelligence if it was able to trick C into making the wrong decision. There's a bit more to it than that in his paper, but the key factor was tricking C.

And in light of that, I thought it was very good

Early(ish) night now, as tomorrow I ride south again for a birthday party; my brother once again saving me the trouble of driving by picking me up en route.

Goodnight all

Comment

Today in the living room it's 19.9, whilst in the laundry room it's 18.1 with an overnight min of 17.9.

The RH therein is knocking on for 78%.

Totally grey.

Other side of the valley a little more visible than yesterday but the essential drizzle continues unabated and rather verges on to Proper Rain(tm).

So no painting today.

I should have completed it yesterday morning before the precipitation began.

Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          On e good thing about all this Twitter shenanigans is that I seem to have regained my enthusiasm for doing development work. Currently mucking about with a project that's been on the back burner for absolutely ages
          Completely & utterly lost mine.

I was interested to find that I'd completely forgotten the syntax of the switch statement the other day.

It's quite embarrassing really.

Comment

Morning all

Pleasant wine tasting at https://www.alburyvineyard.com yesterday. Worth a visit if you like wine. And if you like gin, then the entrance to the Silent Pool Distillery is right beside it.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all.

Quiet start to the day. Out with the local CAMRA group yesterday. Mini-bus tour of village pubs in the area. Sampled some very nice beers, in some very nice pubs.

I may need some more coffee before anything else gets done today.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey start here

Comment

Time to get myself ready for the journey south

At least there's a pub Sunday roast to look forward to at journey's end

Comment

Breakfast has been a sausage, bacon and egg cob, with more coffee.

Feeling a bit more human now.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Roast turkey today.

With added RealMeat(tm) in the form of the caterpillar that got itself cooked with the sprouts/white cabbage/broccoli.

Yum.

Dishes done & it's nearly time for the Sunday Afternoon Shoppe.

Living the dream, just living the dream.

<taps screen>

Is this thing working?

Idiocy of the week last Friday:

a) leaving the house keys hanging in the lock of the laundry room until it was time for bed.

b) leaving the car keys on the windowsill next door until this afternoon when I couldn't find them. It's rained a bit since last Friday.

Sunday afternoon shopping done & dusted & some of it eaten.

The next iteration of the lentil <pffffft> soup is on the hob heating up.

Very little parsnip in this version.

And the very little parsnips aren't rancid.

We shall see how that turns out later on.

Whilst the ongoing greyness is, indeed, ongoing, the drizzle seems to have stopped for a while.

Still too damp for painting though.

And I shall have to dry that car key out too.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 August 2018, 15:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X