• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Fascinating series. Even those who hate Hugh Grant admit he was very good. And that chappie from James Bind was excellent too.

When I heard John Le Mesurier I thought they meant the actor! Pleased when they made it clear he was not the actor.
    Yes, the John Le Mesurier thing confused a lot of people at the time, including me the first few times I saw his name in Private Eye

There's also the Panorama programme made to be shown immediately after he was found guilty (as everybody expected he would be), the master tape of which was then sealed in a vault and all copies destroyed when he wasn't. Luckily one of the BBC journalists involved secretly kept a copy, so that (slightly edited, I believe) is now up on iPlayer too

Comment

Just found the 1936 Radio Time with the Television supplement.

http://www.radiotimesarchive.co.uk/p...-LON-72dpi.pdf

The adverts are wonderful.

The programmes, not so much.

Can one still obtain Phyllosan?

It fortifies the over 40s apparently.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/s...3919363775.pdf

Iron supplement plus vitamins.

Gosh.

Glad we've cleared that up, I was a bit worried there.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 June 2018, 09:49.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        …the gas man cometh
        And the gas man goeth away again

Suppose I'd better start shifting everything back in the way of the gas appliances

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Just found the 1936 Radio Time with the Television supplement.

http://www.radiotimesarchive.co.uk/p...-LON-72dpi.pdf

The adverts are wonderful.

The programmes, not so much.

Can one still obtain Phyllosan?

It fortifies the over 40s apparently.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/s...3919363775.pdf

Iron supplement plus vitamins.

Gosh.

Glad we've cleared that up, I was a bit worried there.
          Advertisements were much better before they became slick

They always make me think of Arthur Lowe's character in The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer:

Mrs. Ferret: Have you been fired?
          Ferret: [brushing it off] Fired?
          [laughs]
          Ferret: Hahaha! Fired? Hahahaha
          [more nervous now]
          Mrs. Ferret: Then why is the car for sale?
          [we see the car through the house window; in the side window there is a crudely written sign saying FORSALE]
          Ferret: Oh that? That's a mistake. That's one of Rimmer's cockups. That should read Fors Ale. A new beer we're advertising.
          [as giving a slogan]
          Ferret: Fors Ale - keeps you hearty and hale.
          Mrs. Ferret: Well I've never heard of it.
          Ferret: And you may never! Very hush hush.

Comment

Yesterday evening I had our first home grown strawberry (outdoor plants, not under glass). Very nice.

Need a few more to ripen up, but also need to put netting over them before the birds get tucked in.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Bah! Just made sausages-in-rolls for lunch, then remembered that I took sausagemeat out of the freezer to make actual sausage rolls

Comment

Shopping done!

I don't think I even forgot too much

As I turned down the side road up on the way back, there were a bunch of coppers leading a young gentleman in handcuffs out of the gate of one of the larger houses up there. I would imagine he'd done a runner over the back gardens and they'd caught up with him there; AFAIK we don't have many known criminals living up that particular road at the moment. They mainly tend to stay over the other side of the main road on which I live, and up nearer town.

Comment

Was trying to decide earlier. The Wife (tm) suggested I should walk to the pub tonight, it was murky earlier and I have a meeting this evening at 7.30, so I said probably not.

In the last few minutes the clouds have cleared, the sky is blue, the sun is shining and the client is raising my stress levels.

I guess me and The Dog (tw) are going for a big walk later...
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oh, and the most horrendously bad bit of road hereabouts, which has been utterly wretched for as long as I can remember, has finally been fixed!

It was utterly dreadful, feeling like it was going to break your suspension every time you drove over it, whether you slowed down or not. I've experimented over the years with trying every possible path over it that didn't involve driving on the wrong side of the road, and there was no way to avoid a spine-jarring jolt. It's one of the only things that's ever made me think seriously about writing to the local paper's letters page, which is a hotbed of lunacy at the best of times and not somewhere one would normally wish for one's name to appear.

Comment

Cleaning the deep fat fryer

Comment

Working...
                      X