• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    It was orange.

I've been playing with my plaster board hoist today. I'm very impressed. I've lifted 3 2.4m panels into place, trimmed in situ to account for wonky walls and screwed them into the ceiling joists without removing the existing boards. This after carting 24 of the feckers into the house, and 16 25kg bags of plaster for good measure.
    You can hear colour? - that's synaesthesia, that is

is this still the pissy old lady house? - was wondering how that was going.
    you stopped giving updates

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      how do you know it's a stihl, and not a black & decker??
      B&D are all electric and make a whiny noise. Stihl has that lovely two-stroke purr like you’re ex’s pleasure device.

(Apologies if this is offensive, the Guinness has been flowing and Eddie Jones appears to have a chariot shoved up his ... )
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        B&D are all electric and make a whiny noise. Stihl has that lovely two-stroke purr like you’re ex’s pleasure device.

(Apologies if this is offensive, the Guinness has been flowing and Eddie Jones appears to have a chariot shoved up his ... )
        Jacksie????

Comment

spent this afternoon dismantling, cleaning, greasing and generally administering TLC to a 1950's vintage Ludwig SpeedKing Bass drum pedal, - ready for assessment next week

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            spent this afternoon dismantling, cleaning, greasing and generally administering TLC to a 1950's vintage Ludwig SpeedKing Bass drum pedal, - ready for assessment next week
            Whilst watching rugby and drinking beer, of course.
            Multitasking! - that's the ticket

Comment

This afternoon, or the last couple of hours of it, has been spent bringing together a bunch of Chef cookbooks I've cobbled together over time

They were split across two projects, and had a lot of duplicated functionality. It had also become clear to me that most or all of the differences between them could be dealt with via providing runtime attributes, which is one of the main ways Chef does things. So it made sense to get them all into one cookbook repository, and eliminate the duplication.

However, they each had their own Git repository and file history, and although I could have just copied the files over, I would have lost all of that. Not that I'm likely to need it, but still.

So, after Googling around the topic and then cocking it up, blowing the whole thing away, and starting again about five times, I finally found the best way to do it

Start with an empty new repo into which things will be moved.

Create a new branch for the merging of one of the old things. Then add the old thing's repo as a suitably-named remote.

Do a git fetch from that remote, then merge the branch from it that you need BUT with the "--allow-unrelated-histories" option. Resolve any merge conflicts and commit the merge.

I then had additional tidying steps involving moving stuff into subdirectories where it was supposed to be in the new structure and committing those changes, still on the branch I'd created for this particular thing to be merged on. YMMV. Tip: if you're going to put other stuff from a different repo into a subdirectory of the same name, don't. Give it a unique-across-repos name for now, and sort that out later. It'll be much easier, believe me.

Once all that's done and committed for that old repo, switch back to the original branch (probably "master" though that's just a convention).

Repeat the above for each of the old repos, starting from the creation of a new branch for merging branching off master, which will still be empty. Eventually, you'll have all your stuff in place, each lot of it on its own branch.

And once it's all in place, merge each of those branches into master (which won't cause any merge conflicts if you did the tidying stage on each merge branch correctly, and in particular didn't re-use directory names on different branches), and you're done

If you do need stuff from different repos to go in the same directory, you can now sort that out without having to muck about with merge conflicts.

Now that's all done, maybe I can get on with some actual work on the stuff instead of just moving it around in a convoluted manner devised by Linus Torvalds

Comment

i prefer bass pedals and motorbikes, myself

Comment

Just fixed a couple of bits for my thing that resolves shortened URLs by following the redirect chain. Turns out some sites block requests from the Python requests library based on its User Agent header, so my thing is now masquerading as an oldish version of Safari.

And as my thing only wants the HTTP headers to do its thing, it's polite and uses a HEAD request so the entire page doesn't have to be sent. Turns out Amazon, among other sites, disallows this. So now, if it gets a 405 Method Not Allowed, it tries again with GET

That being done, I think I shall head off to the Chinese

Comment

In the Chinese. It’s rather snowy out

Comment

Getting even snowier out now, but I have no further need to go out in it. Time for some telly and a beer or more!

Comment

Working...
                      X