• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does walking to the Chinese count as exercise for the purposes of my cardiac rehab exercise diary, I wonder? Because in weather like this, I'm not walking out there unless there's a dinner at the end of it

Comment

Saw a thing on TV yesterday that said it's better for you to do really strenuous exercise until you can't do any more rather than longer, gentler sessions. Put all the weight settings up when I used my garage gym a little while ago. Knackered!
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Saw a thing on TV yesterday that said it's better for you to do really strenuous exercise until you can't do any more rather than longer, gentler sessions. Put all the weight settings up when I used my garage gym a little while ago. Knackered!
        I'm going with the idea of not doing too much: Michael Mosley: 'Forget walking 10,000 steps a day' - BBC News

I always walk fast anyway, so I should be able to manage that

Comment

The Truth About Getting Fit on the BBC - that's the prog I watched. Yeh, fast or hilly walking that makes you pant is much better supposedly. Better still if you carry an elephant.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            The Truth About Getting Fit on the BBC - that's the prog I watched. Yeh, fast or hilly walking that makes you pant is much better supposedly. Better still if you carry an elephant.
            KFC is uphill from here…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              KFC is uphill from here…
              and the good chippy?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                and the good chippy?
                The quickest way to there is on the flat, though - they're along two parallel roads, one of which goes uphill, while the other doesn't.

Anyway, tonight was the Chinese

Comment

And before dinner, I resolved a problem with my Twitter bot, which it turns out had arisen because of the whole 280 character shenanigans. It wasn't a huge issue, but it's nice to get it working properly again

Comment

Tonight's big feature was a film about which people have been saying to me "You haven't seen it? " for about thirty years: Easy Rider (1969). Well now I have seen it, and very good it is too

Apparently they wanted Dylan to write the title song, but he wasn't keen. They took him to lunch and badgered him and finally, in exasperation, he grabbed a napkin, scribbled a couple of lines on it, and said "Give this to McGuinn; he'll know what to do with it." So they gave it to Roger McGuinn of the Byrds, and those couple of lines are:
                    The river flows, it flows to the sea
                    Wherever that river flows, that's where I want to be

which became the first lines of Roger McGuinn's The Ballad of Easy Rider, on which the film ends.

And they gave Dylan a joint songwriting credit for those two lines, but when he saw a preview of the film he insisted that they take his name off that song. So the royalties for the song all went to Roger McGuinn, though it's quite possible that Dylan didn't do it for that reason, but just because he's an obstreperous bastard sometimes

After that, being bereft of Americans after last night, I reverted to the Swedes and the first couple of episodes of Jordskott (TV Series 2015). This was interesting because it's the first Nordic thingy I've seen that includes in its plot, as what seems to be an increasingly important element, that aspect of the Swedish national psyche that the Swedish woman at the Interesting conference talked about: a belief in powerful elemental spirits of the forest and such. She said that they all secretly believe in these things while pretending not to because they're far too modern and rational for that, so it's cool to see a Swedish drama that's incorporating that aspect of their culture

And then another couple of episodes of Better Call Saul, which is of course excellent and I don't know why I keep forgetting to watch it

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all clear blue skies and chilly here. Nice dog walk though.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X