• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY HOME!

Everything travel-related today has been an absolute feckin' nightmare

This morning it was a broken-down lorry on the A14 near the Cambridgeshire border. To add insult to injury, it turned out that the damn thing was safely off the road in a massive lay-by, but the police had decided to close the inside lane (of two) anyway, which made me twenty minutes late

At ClientCo, the landlord is doing a total re-engineering of the car park, which means half of it is closed off at any one time. Luckily I managed to get one of the few remaining spaces up against the bushes; I've no idea if it was actually allocated to ClientCo or one of the other businesses in the building

Then coming home, there'd been an accident on the A14 at Kettering causing massive delays. It was supposedly starting to clear, so I decided to ignore Google Maps (which wanted to take me via Rutland) and chance it. In Kettering things were going pretty well, but getting near the site of the accident things slowed down dramatically. It turned out that this was because things had slowed down in a rather mundane manner, but some bloke in a van hadn't noticed and had rear-ended a car just ahead of me in the outside lane

Anyway, after that I made it to the M1 to be greeted by the dreaded "Queue after junction" sign, with Google Maps burbling about fifteen minute delays. So I came off at J20 and headed north through Lutterworth.

For some reason Google Maps gets absolutely horrified at the idea of going up the A road that forms Lutterworth high street and carrying on north to Leicester, badgering me to turn off and disappear into the wilds of the countryside at every single opportunity until I finally get out of the town. After that it was generally OK until Leicester, where it turned out the dreaded football traffic was causing yet more delays, leading Google Maps to take me on a rather convoluted route around the outer ring road, which probably didn't save any time at all as the worst of the traffic is always right here where I live anyway.

So I'm finally back home after a two hour journey, or between thirty and forty minutes longer than one that I'd characterise as "bad"
    Last edited by NickFitz; 28 November 2017, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      FINALLY HOME!

Everything travel-related today has been an absolute feckin' nightmare

This morning it was a broken-down lorry on the A14 near the Cambridgeshire border. To add insult to injury, it turned out that the damn thing was safely off the road in a massive lay-by, but the police had decided to close the inside lane (of two) anyway, which made me twenty minutes late

At ClientCo, the landlord is doing a total re-engineering of the car park, which means half of it is closed off at any one time. Luckily I managed to get one of the few remaining spaces up against the bushes; I've no idea if it was actually allocated to ClientCo or one of the other businesses in the building

Then coming home, there'd been an accident on the A14 at Kettering causing massive delays. It was supposedly starting to clear, so I decided to ignore Google Maps (which wanted to take me via Rutland) and chance it. In Kettering things were going pretty well, but getting near the site of the accident things slowed down dramatically. It turned out that this was because things had slowed down in a rather mundane manner, but some bloke in a van hadn't noticed and had rear-ended a car just ahead of me in the outside lane

Anyway, after that I made it to the M1 to be greeted by the dreaded "Queue after junction" sign, with Google Maps burbling about fifteen minute delays. So I came off at J20 and headed north through Lutterworth.

For some reason Google Maps gets absolutely horrified at the idea of going up the A road that forms Lutterworth high street and carrying on north to Leicester, badgering me to turn off and disappear into the wilds of the countryside at every single opportunity until I finally get out of the town. After that it was generally OK until Leicester, where it turned out the dreaded football traffic was causing yet more delays, leading Google Maps to take me on a rather convoluted route around the outer ring road, which probably didn't save any time at all as the worst of the traffic is always right here where I live anyway.

So I'm finally back home after a two hour journey, or between thirty and forty minutes longer than one that I'd characterise as "bad"
      It will only take me 4 hours to get home tomorrow from copenhagen and that requires 2 planes
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        It will only take me 4 hours to get home tomorrow from copenhagen and that requires 2 planes
        i bet your cat's got bigger bolloks than anyones's too

Comment

That's how long I spent driving there and back today - left at seven, got home at seven

Comment

That's how long I spent driving there and back today - left at seven, got home at seven
            no ledzep award for you then

Comment

the best indian restaurant around is on the way home from the pub.
              bugger!
              ceylon chicken, pilau rice and saag aloo.
              again.
              it IS rather nice though

Comment

and only a tenner

Comment

To be honest the time quoted is slightly unfair as it will take slightly longer than that but the rest of the time will be spent drinking free alcohol and the new lounge in Copenhagen has a perfectly acceptable red and (currently) a decent hot and cold buffet.

Coming out is nearer 5 hours including the 40 minute detour for 2 glasses of champagne. My refusal to drink before midday or if work is required afterwards is a real problem with these journey times
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

To be honest the time quoted is slightly unfair as it will take slightly longer than that but the rest of the time will be spent drinking free alcohol and the new lounge in Copenhagen has a perfectly acceptable red and (currently) a decent hot and cold buffet.

Coming out is nearer 5 hours including the 40 minute detour for 2 glasses of champagne. My refusal to drink before midday or if work is required afterwards is a real problem with these journey times
                    Ah, but do you get to see the Kettering bypass? I think not

Comment

Ah, but do you get to see the Kettering bypass? I think not
                      ahh, yes! - you haven't lived if you haven't seen the kettering bypass

Comment

Working...
                      X