• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy 150th birthday to my liver.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      A couple of people are tidying up next door's front garden. Not sure that will help sell the place by itself, but I suppose it can't do any harm

I still can't get over the fact that next door is split into 9 separate flats/bedsits. I know these houses are big, but that's really pushing it. I assume shared bathrooms play an important role, as otherwise each "flat" must be a single room the size of my kitchen. Even with shared bathrooms, they'll only be the size of my living room.

They want £450,000 for it, as I recall
      That's cheap though not if you have to put it back together into reasonable sized flats to sell on.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Happy 150th birthday to my liver.
        A mere youth. I wonder how old PhiltheGreek's is..

Comment

Well the wall is back up. £1k is gone forever. And the garden is well borked. But, looking on the bright side, I have plenty of jetwashing to do tomorrow to clean the paths and whatnot of mortar splashes, mud and associated crap.

Comment

Oh, and there's about half a ton of stone leftover, on account of the original builders being tight with mortar but generous with stone. Apparently there isn't a rubble facility at the tip any longer so getting shot of it all might prove to be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Oh, and there's about half a ton of stone leftover, on account of the original builders being tight with mortar but generous with stone. Apparently there isn't a rubble facility at the tip any longer so getting shot of it all might prove to be a challenge.
              Offer it to someone on your local Freecycle or freegle.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Current status: writing a Twitter bot to send you a DM (Direct Message) reminding you to put the bins out the night before bin day

So far I've got the Twitter account set up, and registered the .com domain name. And I've created an HTTPS API endpoint in Amazon API Gateway, which invokes an AWS Lambda function written in Python. It's just a "hello world" at the moment, but Twitter now allows you to get DMs via webhooks, which is what this will become.

So the Twitter user who wants reminders will follow @BinDayBot and send it a DM saying, for example, "Thursday" and from then on it'll send them a DM on Wednesday evenings telling them to do the bins.

This could be huge

Comment

Current status: writing a Twitter bot to send you a DM (Direct Message) reminding you to put the bins out the night before bin day

So far I've got the Twitter account set up, and registered the .com domain name. And I've created an HTTPS API endpoint in Amazon API Gateway, which invokes an AWS Lambda function written in Python. It's just a "hello world" at the moment, but Twitter now allows you to get DMs via webhooks, which is what this will become.

So the Twitter user who wants reminders will follow @BinDayBot and send it a DM saying, for example, "Thursday" and from then on it'll send them a DM on Wednesday evenings telling them to do the bins.

This could be huge
                  and there was me, thinking, MY memory was going .
                  time for more wine methinks

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    and there was me, thinking, MY memory was going .
                    time for more wine methinks
                    Just the other day one of the people I follow said she'd forgotten to put the bins out and asked her followers why we hadn't reminded her. So based on that N=1 sample, there's a definite need for this

Comment

Just the other day one of the people I follow said she'd forgotten to put the bins out and asked her followers why we hadn't reminded her. So based on that N=1 sample, there's a definite need for this
                      haupt der welt morgen das sonnensystem ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X