• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just discovered I have a 3 hour conference call today. I've already told them the answer to the question (and it was an answer that even a permie with a couple of years of experience could have given), but the PM decides we need to have a meeting with the business to go through all the options.
    Option 1: the right way
    Option 2: the wrong way, but you can get away with it 75% of the time. When you hit the 25%, it takes 6 months to switch to option 1, requires stopping the business for 4 days of trading and needs a project team including a couple of good DBAs, a team of functional consultants and all the security to be switched off.

...but at least I'll be billing them for the meeting.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      Everning

Interview this afternoon for a contract 14 miles from home. less than 25 mins door to door.
      Company seemed fine, rate was good, flexible hours so I could do 7:30 - 3:30

It would reduce my permie travel from 120 miles per day to 30. and the time save will be amazing.
      However Im wondering whether now is the right time to be dipping back into the contract arena
      Its not a boom yet, but I've had confirmation via text that the client is drawing up paper work and about to offer.
      Plus its direct

Comment

Its not a boom yet, but I've had confirmation via text that the client is drawing up paper work and about to offer.
        Plus its direct
        Ive not raised an invoice for close to 18months, what's changed ?

Comment

Ive not raised an invoice for close to 18months, what's changed ?
          Unless it's public sector, not a lot.

Dividend tax, Flat Rate VAT has changed a bit, but noting your accountant can't get you up to speed on.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Just discovered I have a 3 hour conference call today. I've already told them the answer to the question (and it was an answer that even a permie with a couple of years of experience could have given), but the PM decides we need to have a meeting with the business to go through all the options.
            Option 2: the wrong way, but you can get away with it 75% of the time. When you hit the 25%, it takes 6 months to switch to option 1, requires stopping the business for 4 days of trading and needs a project team including a couple of good DBAs, a team of functional consultants and all the security to be switched off.

What is the likelyhood they will hit that 25% in the next 5 years...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The best bit is if you stick around somewhere, watch your advice ignored, then watch when the exact crisis you predicted happen.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                The best bit is if you stick around somewhere, watch your advice ignored, then watch when the exact crisis you predicted happen.

I prefer the witch hunt afterwards. Especially when it goes quiet once you resend your arse covering emails....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I prefer the witch hunt afterwards. Especially when it goes quiet once you resend your arse covering emails....
                  Been there many times, rinse and repeat.

Sensible people listen, in the first place, idiots don't
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    What is the likelyhood they will hit that 25% in the next 5 years...
                    The only reason it wouldn't happen would be if MF sticks £10k on it.
                    It could be the fourth certainty in life:
                    Death, Taxes, Nurses, and this.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No one in today, they're all at graduation.

So a fine opportunity to snooze the morning away.

Until two esteemed customers saw fit to wake me up.

Comment

Working...
                      X