• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire alarm at ClientCo, coincidentally on the day a chap's working on the fire alarm. Now stood in a car park

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Fire alarm at ClientCo, coincidentally on the day a chap's working on the fire alarm. Now stood in a car park
      We had one a few years ago at an old client. They had just refurbished the building and installed a new all singing all dancing fire detection system in the server room. It was supposed to be wired into a separate circuit to the main alarm as it was designed to go off before a fire even started by detecting the vapors given off when wiring etc started to overheat.

They decided to test it one day and it worked. So well that we had three fire engines arrive on site before the facilities people even realized the main alarm had been triggered...
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Time to get some milk and a tea cake....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Back inside. No fire

Comment

went to visit a site once in a large tower block full of lots of different firms (you know the type where the lobby has a notice board with 20 different firms on each with its own floor).The company I was visiting were busy replacing the air con on one floor, they were brazing the pipes in the server room. They had turned off the Halon & disabled the local fire detectors.

However they had missed the building fire alarm, about 1 hour in the whole server room went dark as the EPO went and the building fire alarm went off. The other 19 floors were the same. We all trooped out and bought ice creams while we waited. At least the sprinklers didn't go off.

Why was I there? They wanted to move all my servers to their "data centre" in this building.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              We all trooped out and bought ice creams while we waited. At least the sprinklers didn't go off.
              I've told the story before of the time I was at GWR FM in Bristol on the hottest day of the year when a digger on what is now Cabot Circus cut through the electric main for the whole neighbourhood, the generators kicked in, and one of them immediately caught fire.

We all went outside and stood in the baking sun. Just then, an ice-cream van went by. The facilities manager rushed into the road, flagged him down, and told him to park up just round the corner off the main road, give us all whatever we wanted, and bring the bill to her

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I've told the story before of the time I was at GWR FM in Bristol on the hottest day of the year when a digger on what is now Cabot Circus cut through the electric main for the whole neighbourhood, the generators kicked in, and one of them immediately caught fire.

We all went outside and stood in the baking sun. Just then, an ice-cream van went by. The facilities manager rushed into the road, flagged him down, and told him to park up just round the corner off the main road, give us all whatever we wanted, and bring the bill to her
                One day a few years back Eek and I decided to walk through ClientCo with ice creams, we got mega evils from them, I can't remember if we went back and got some for the permies or not
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  One day a few years back Eek and I decided to walk through ClientCo with ice creams, we got mega evils from them, I can't remember if we went back and got some for the permies or not
                  The shop was next door - I don't believe we did - also by the time we went most of the permies we liked had either cleared off or were on diets...

You did however get some on the day I left after I pointed out that I couldn't get back into the building once I had left...

Comment

And a very big thanks to eek!

I don't care what anyone says about you - you are a star!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      And a very big thanks to eek!

I don't care what anyone says about you - you are a star!
                      Not a problem.

What do people say about me behind my back - not that I care as I'm utterly happy in myself....
                      Last edited by eek; 15 August 2016, 12:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X