• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    <flounce>
    Gonna take a short break from CUK. to you all, 'specially zeity.

I'll be back.
    Oh dear. Don't stay away too long!
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      Got a bouchon lined up next, I'm looking forward to it. It's only an overnight pitstop but the first impressions of the city are good!
      I spent a few days there a few years back. Never ate so well and sooooo cheaply. There's a really good cocktail bar in the Sofitel which overlooks the city.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

<flounce>

<Deep Austrian Accent>I'll be back.</Deep Austrian Accent>

You eloping with SAS? Take care honey! see you soon.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

<flounce>

I'll be back.

See you soon - I'll come and wave at you on the IPSE forums if you're there

Comment

Well that answers that question:

SF novel from 1970ish about an African American who travels forward in time and gets stuck
            It's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Year_of_the_Quiet_Sun

That's been bugging me for a while now.

Comment

Apparently the football folk have officially won their thing

Just heard some fireworks from nearby, and there are a number of vehicles honking their horns as they travel up the road outside, sometimes with cheering from the occupants.

But I daresay they have work in the morning so it won't go on too late

Comment

The next one is the question of who wrote the story of the Postman at Hiroshima/Nagasaki who was transported hence before the bomb dropped by time travellers/aliens/what have you.

Still haven't found that one.

He's stuck somewhere out of time begging for alms.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  The next one is the question of who wrote the story of the Postman at Hiroshima/Nagasaki who was transported hence before the bomb dropped by time travellers/aliens/what have you.

Still haven't found that one.

He's stuck somewhere out of time begging for alms.
                  Here's one called The Postman of Nagasaki written by Peter Townsend, former beau of Fag-ash Maggie: Novel on hibakusha reprinted | The Japan Times

Comment

Night all, mind how you go.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Here's one called The Postman of Nagasaki written by Peter Townsend, former beau of Fag-ash Maggie: Novel on hibakusha reprinted | The Japan Times
                      Sadly, that's real.

The story I'm referring to is probably an SF short story or novella that I read 40 some years ago, back when I read such things avidly.

I'm quite pleased that I finally found the Quiet Sun thing at long last. It's probably on a bookshelf here somewhere.

It has touches of Clifford Simak to it. Maybe one of his short stories.

Comment

Working...
                      X