• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Has anyone got any handy tips on sound proofing, we seem to have a ''sensitive'' neighbour who likes to complain about the slightest noise.

We've already got a dampener under the sub, and we don't even play stuff loudly. I'd understand if it was late a night but she came round Saturday at 19:30 as she'd heard ''two loud booms'' ( we were watching man of steel, and not loudly either), which frightened her.

Seems the walls are paper thin and she is of a nervous disposition.

The other neighbours have a herd of elephants for kids, you can hear them stomping up the stairs, but you ignore if after a while.

Sometimes I miss my detached house in the UK.
    AC/DC turned up to 11.

Sorted.

Comment

Has anyone got any handy tips on sound proofing, we seem to have a ''sensitive'' neighbour who likes to complain about the slightest noise.
      Empty egg cartons glued to the walls.

I saw it on Grange Hill.

Comment

We've already got a dampener under the sub, and we don't even play stuff loudly. I'd understand if it was late a night but she came round Saturday at 19:30 as she'd heard ''two loud booms'' ( we were watching man of steel, and not loudly either), which frightened her.

Seems the walls are paper thin and she is of a nervous disposition.

The other neighbours have a herd of elephants for kids, you can hear them stomping up the stairs, but you ignore if after a while.

Sometimes I miss my detached house in the UK.
        Oh dear, it seems you have one of those neighbours.

Have you seen the 'Rijdende Rechter' on TV? Truly, truly sad people fighting over non-existent noise, 1 cm difference in boundaries between 40 hectare farms and the like. There's even a version called 'Vakantie Rechter', where people complain that the astoundingly cheap hotel they went to on holiday on a special offer doesn't quite meet the standards of the Amstel Hotel.

De Rijdende Rechter - Wikipedia

Hulp bij conflicten - Eerste Hulp Bij Recht
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Morning denizens

Thought I'd be battling a monster hangover today, but having stayed in, I actually feel quite chipper

Suppose I should think of something useful to do with this gift of time that doesn't involve moving around very much

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Oh dear, it seems you have one of those neighbours.

Have you seen the 'Rijdende Rechter' on TV? Truly, truly sad people fighting over non-existent noise, 1 cm difference in boundaries between 40 hectare farms and the like. There's even a version called 'Vakantie Rechter', where people complain that the astoundingly cheap hotel they went to on holiday on a special offer doesn't quite meet the standards of the Amstel Hotel.

De Rijdende Rechter - Wikipedia

Hulp bij conflicten - Eerste Hulp Bij Recht
            Never seen it.

I think the fact they have their sofa right up against the wall, mostly bare walls and no rugs doesn't help.

I got told our games were very loud, next thing she'll come round if I sneeze too loudly ( which I do). WE haven't finished furnishing our home yet, so still have rugs and whatnot to buy, but I have told her that we've moved speakers away from walls, readjusted the surround sound and put dampeners under the sub, so she can fork orf. This is summat we did when we moved in when we realised the quality cloggy building standards with little or no insulation between the houses.

There's only so much we can turn stuff down without not being able to hear it ourselves.

We're kinda hoping that she'll be next neighbour to put their house up for sale, there's currently two up and another one just about to go up, seems all the retired neighbours can't cope with the large house and stairs.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

We're kinda hoping that she'll be next neighbour to put their house up for sale, there's currently two up and another one just about to go up, seems all the retired neighbours can't cope with the large house and stairs.
              Oh no, is she in the agegroup that was born during or just after the war?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Oh no, is she in the agegroup that was born during or just after the war?
                Possibly, I've met all the neighbours and they all are pretty easy going.

I think she's a tad nervous, but she's got to expect some noise. She's polite with me but has been rude to Mr N ( may have summat to do with that he doesn't speak as much cloggy as I do).
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Speaking of people being loud, the ''keyboard batter'' is in the office again today.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My Dad lives in the top floor flat of an old converted manor house (basically in the old loft). He used to have downstairs neighbours who would shout, bang on the ceiling, etc at any noise, even though my Dad had paid for underfloor sound insulation, etc. In an old place like that you're never going to have perfect sound insulation.

They once came up to complain and demonstrated how he should walk - arms out to the side, creeping along on tippy-toes. If the washing machine was put on they'd shout. Once a teaspoon was dropped in the kitchen and they nearly put a hole in their ceiling bashing it with a broom, shouting and swearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                      My Dad lives in the top floor flat of an old converted manor house (basically in the old loft). He used to have downstairs neighbours who would shout, bang on the ceiling, etc at any noise, even though my Dad had paid for underfloor sound insulation, etc. In an old place like that you're never going to have perfect sound insulation.

They once came up to complain and demonstrated how he should walk - arms out to the side, creeping along on tippy-toes. If the washing machine was put on they'd shout. Once a teaspoon was dropped in the kitchen and they nearly put a hole in their ceiling bashing it with a broom, shouting and swearing.
                      That's a tad extreme, this woman seems to come round straight away instead of seeing if its a one off noise and dealing with it.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X