• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    They are public sector but they are not Civil Service; perhaps that is why?
    I think so, but it may get there eventually. The distinction between government and non-government public sector is currently important, I think.

There was a halfhearted attempt (emailed out and then withdrawn) at an NHS Special Health Authority I was contracting with but they are technically an arms length body of the DH rather than a statutory NHS body.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

They are public sector but they are not Civil Service; perhaps that is why?
      Yep. NHS do not operate as part of the Civil Service, they are effectively autonomous under the auspices of DoH but not part of the department.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Yep. NHS do not operate as part of the Civil Service, they are effectively autonomous under the auspices of DoH but not part of the department.
        Not quite. NHS Trusts (in England) are not under the auspices of the DH, but statutory bodies.

However, the Cabinet Office guidance states:

7. The contents of this PPN apply to all Central Government Departments including their
        Executive Agencies and Non Departmental Public Bodies. Similar guidance will be provided to
        NHS organisations, and Academy Schools guidance will be updated to reflect the
        recommendations of the review.
        But I suspect many Foundation Trusts would resist / ignore.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Update on the CL1 review

Having poked Capita with the appropriate implements they sent me an update on the CL1 review.

Revised contracts are due to begin roll out in early August and existing contractors will be given time to review them before they are signed.

To quote the Capita rep who replied to my question about Ltd Co. Contractors and IR35 status under the revised contract

"The new terms and conditions are considered palatable to LTD company workers."

No indication how this was arrived at or who considered them palatable, we shall have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Having poked Capita with the appropriate implements they sent me an update on the CL1 review.

Revised contracts are due to begin roll out in early August and existing contractors will be given time to review them before they are signed.

To quote the Capita rep who replied to my question about Ltd Co. Contractors and IR35 status under the revised contract

"The new terms and conditions are considered palatable to LTD company workers."

No indication how this was arrived at or who considered them palatable, we shall have to wait and see.
            That would be the PCG then. After all, it's them who have been driving this to a viable resolution. As I keep saying, they're about a lot more than insurance...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That would be the PCG then. After all, it's them who have been driving this to a viable resolution. As I keep saying, they're about a lot more than insurance...
              Originally posted by bracken View Post
              Spoke to the nice man at the PCG...they have had conversation with HMG and made suggestions to the revised CL1. They're not however sure when it will go live, they were hoping for the end of this month. They're also not 100% sure whether HMG will take on board all of their comments...for the moment, it's a wait and see...
              Well given that the last contact anyone on here appears to have had from them was less than conclusive and PCG members have not had a tweet out of them on the issue since early April referring to an article posted ion March, I think we are still very much in wait an see territory before anyone gets to start claiming any sort of credit.

Comment

Thanks once again for the update DaveB

Comment

Hi All, Not really been following this in too much detail. Mate of a mate has a new contract at Companies Hse. He's an IT bod and not an office holder. Would he fall into this net?

TIA and apols if it's already been asked. Couldn't find a way to just search this thread.

Comment

In case it helps anyone....
                    Just got a new gig with DWP through CL1. Received horrendous contract, complained with no joy. Sent to QDOS for review which came back with a 'fail' notice and a kind suggest to request the CL1 alternative contract.
                    Did so and received a new contract the following day which QDOS passed - subject to working practices.
                    This wasn't the cipher version as I have previously had that contract (last year).
                    So in summary it's worth holding out for a decent contract through CL1 and it is possible ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      Hi All, Not really been following this in too much detail. Mate of a mate has a new contract at Companies Hse. He's an IT bod and not an office holder. Would he fall into this net?

TIA and apols if it's already been asked. Couldn't find a way to just search this thread.
                      If the contract's for longer than 6 months and the rate higher than £220 per day probably
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X