• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am going to open a computer shop to justify being outside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35equalshateoflittleguy View Post

That is interesting, I guess i could redefine my work as products. What a ridiculous thing to have to do though in order to operate as a company.
    The one thing I missed off by mistake was that who ever does this needs to be able to sell the products and have a market for them. I am not a bad salesman but I am not a great one. I don't want to disparage contractors but most of the sector that I have seen or met while good at selling in the interview sense is very bad at "proper" selling.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

The one thing I missed off by mistake was that who ever does this needs to be able to sell the products and have a market for them. I am not a bad salesman but I am not a great one. I don't want to disparage contractors but most of the sector that I have seen or met while good at selling in the interview sense is very bad at "proper" selling.

The problem with selling complex services as products is that it can be difficult to quantify or define up front how long or involved the project/product is going to be. Which is why selling services based on fixed and renewable contracts makes the most sense for these sorts of complex projects/products.

A good example of this how in large companies it can take 6 weeks before a contractor is even properly set up with permissions. In an ideal world I could have said the project would take 3 weeks to complete. In reality with change control and red tape and compliance and all other variables it can take 6 months. Trying to sell products that take 6 months to deliver is difficult to justify.

Comment

So you've got a shop, a physical one on the high street. What does it sell?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Products and services.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            feck all for most of the last year

HTH

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by IR35equalshateoflittleguy View Post

The problem with selling complex services as products is that it can be difficult to quantify or define up front how long or involved the project/product is going to be. Which is why selling services based on fixed and renewable contracts makes the most sense for these sorts of complex projects/products.

A good example of this how in large companies it can take 6 weeks before a contractor is even properly set up with permissions. In an ideal world I could have said the project would take 3 weeks to complete. In reality with change control and red tape and compliance and all other variables it can take 6 months. Trying to sell products that take 6 months to deliver is difficult to justify.
              I think your second para here says it all. Still almost thinking like a contractor who is a bum on a chair.

Lets look it another way. If I gave you a lorry load of laptops and told you sell them and extended warranties and "support services" - think PC world ish. How much do you think you could sell in one day, say as a percentage of the space of the lorry?

By lorry I mean one of these bad boys

Click image for larger version

Name:	skynews-edie-stobart-truck_4858166.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	607.6 KB
ID:	4160125

Attached Files
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

I think your second para here says it all. Still almost thinking like a contractor who is a bum on a chair.
                I'm not sure products and services angle is going to help the OP. Learning what IR35 is would be a good start.
                But I think this is a lost cause who is going simply carry on, but now pay the correct tax like a good little employee.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I'm not sure products and services angle is going to help the OP. Learning what IR35 is would be a good start.
                  But I think this is a lost cause who is going simply carry on, but now pay the correct tax like a good little employee.
                  Nothing is going to help the OP. He's on a blinkered rant so no amount of fact is going to make a difference.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I tend to midly agree. I also think that the way away from Ir35 if you can do it is not to have a bum on chair approach but a product, service, customer and sales approach. It is not going to work for everyone.

In the last response to me the OP seemed like he was trying to convert an £xxx per day contract into a product/service combo priced at £xxxxx all up. I am sure The revenue will see through that one straight away.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

I tend to midly agree. I also think that the way away from Ir35 if you can do it is not to have a bum on chair approach but a product, service, customer and sales approach. It is not going to work for everyone.

In the last response to me the OP seemed like he was trying to convert an £xxx per day contract into a product/service combo priced at £xxxxx all up. I am sure The revenue will see through that one straight away.
                      I think he was more like changing £x00 per day, to a service for £x00 where that service is a bum on a seat for a day.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X