• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC hasn't beaten the contractor, apathy has.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    It was always going to be the permitractors within or ranks that would do-us-in. Like civil servants bogging the country down in useless goo.
    The problem is that all contractors think they are the only contractor and all the rest are permietractors.

HMRC want to determine how much tax is paid without reference to any rule.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      The problem is that all contractors think they are the only contractor and all the rest are permietractors.

HMRC want to determine how much tax is paid without reference to any rule.
      The Employer NI department of HMRC want and need their firewall to be kept in tact.

The fact they will recover the £500m they want at the expense of £3bn (and reduced growth) elsewhere is going to be a very interesting lesson that they won't learn.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        It was always going to be the permitractors within or ranks that would do-us-in. Like civil servants bogging the country down in useless goo.
        via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          What is/was your plan A?
          Sorry, only just seen your question. When it became obvious that the UK contracting industry was under serious attack and was going to effectively end, I took the decision to give up on the industry completely. I took overseas jobs (two of them one after the other) where my skills were in demand, highly appreciated and rewarded appropriately. I have worked in the USA, Australia, UAE, Oman, Korea, Japan, Germany, Sweden and other places too since I left the UK. I am earning more than ever I did as a UK contractor and having the time of my life too. Working in places and meeting people I wouldn't have experienced if I'd stayed in the UK fighting a rear guard battle I was doomed to lose. And that's if I managed to find any work at all anyway. My planned retirement is now imminent and well funded. And as a bonus, the UK government has had absolutely zero revenue from me since I left. If they'd left me alone, I was paying a load of various taxes, but that wasn't on their agenda. My plan A has worked just fine and dandy.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Sorry, only just seen your question. When it became obvious that the UK contracting industry was under serious attack and was going to effectively end, I took the decision to give up on the industry completely. I took overseas jobs (two of them one after the other) where my skills were in demand, highly appreciated and rewarded appropriately. I have worked in the USA, Australia, UAE, Oman, Korea, Japan, Germany, Sweden and other places too since I left the UK. I am earning more than ever I did as a UK contractor and having the time of my life too. Working in places and meeting people I wouldn't have experienced if I'd stayed in the UK fighting a rear guard battle I was doomed to lose. And that's if I managed to find any work at all anyway. My planned retirement is now imminent and well funded. And as a bonus, the UK government has had absolutely zero revenue from me since I left. If they'd left me alone, I was paying a load of various taxes, but that wasn't on their agenda. My plan A has worked just fine and dandy.
            Well played, good sir.

If I had the flexibility of relocating I'd have done the same.

Comment

Can someone change the thread title please?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...all-along.html

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Can someone change the thread title please?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...all-along.html
                What? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  What? Why?
                  Because 'You are all f**ked!!!' sounds a lot more exciting.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Because 'You are all f**ked!!!' sounds a lot more exciting.
                    It was more because of the link to a different thread from within this thread.

Being simple, I am easy confused

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      I've given in, nothing will make the changes go away.

Turns out Cap were right as most of the other contractors while publicly talking about fighting the decisions simply accepted the decision and will carry onside until they find something else, which in this market isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe we need to put something on facebook, at least then we'd get "thoughts and prayers" to solve the problem!
                      How can you 'fight' the decision? What tools / options do you have? Most people look at contractors as tax dodgers. To be fair more than half of the contractor community (especially the herds working at banks) are so disguised employees that they dont even need to put on the disguise any more.

There's an excellent post today about a contractor who did what a sensible business would. Planned for over the three years, implemented processes and educated the client. This is what makes him a business like any other. For most others, who have no clue about the most significant legislation impacting their business, the tax dodge is over.

Its already separating the wheat from the chaff in my client.

Comment

Working...
                      X