• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC hasn't beaten the contractor, apathy has.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    There's an excellent post today about a contractor who did what a sensible business would. Planned for over the three years, implemented processes and educated the client. This is what makes him a business like any other. For most others, who have no clue about the most significant legislation impacting their business, the tax dodge is over.
    3 years to educate 1 client so they kept 1 contractor

The truth is that most companies want temporary employees and that is now what they are going to get.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The truth is that most companies want temporary employees and that is now what they are going to get.
      This.

Nothing more to be said really.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Congrats to him, just means he has 3 years downtime after his next role.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
          How can you 'fight' the decision? What tools / options do you have? Most people look at contractors as tax dodgers. To be fair more than half of the contractor community (especially the herds working at banks) are so disguised employees that they dont even need to put on the disguise any more.

There's an excellent post today about a contractor who did what a sensible business would. Planned for over the three years, implemented processes and educated the client. This is what makes him a business like any other. For most others, who have no clue about the most significant legislation impacting their business, the tax dodge is over.

Its already separating the wheat from the chaff in my client.
          Oh so smug.

I wonder if you'll be quite as chipper when HMRC have squeezed their current victims dry and come after you with some new cr@ppy bit of unbalanced legislation?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
            Oh so smug.

I wonder if you'll be quite as chipper when HMRC have squeezed their current victims dry and come after you with some new cr@ppy bit of unbalanced legislation?
            I have been inside IR35 since 2017 in the public sector. I refused to join permanent.

Only last October did I get a 6 month outside gig. Dont fall off your chair. You will still earn more than your permanent counterparts. It's just that you will pay tax at the same rate as them. And yes, you will often have the option to go permanent as well. Dont whinge.

Comment

Working...
            X