• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rishi Sunak confirms IR35 reform is going ahead w/o any major changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry, Dave Chaplin's promised to "Knock it out of the park".

Comment

My view on Rishi Sunak's recent commentary:

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
        Don't worry, Dave Chaplin's promised to "Knock it out of the park".
        For the right money. Please refer to pricing and T&Cs on his website.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Got a call this morning from a bod at Infosys about a potential role, doing exactly what I am doing now for the same client (Infosys are doing the delivery side). This after I explained to my (Infosys) designer on Friday that I would be leaving the project end March and why.

Spent unproductive but pleasingly vindictive 1/2 hour explaining my perspective and of course chucked in the Rishi/Infosys link. No I will not be carrying on in the same role/project & client unless it is on an outside contract. Soz / not soz.

Unsurprisingly he said Infosys are gearing up to take up the slack of contractors leaving (I swear I could hear the gleeful hand rubbing over the phone). They don't employ contractors.

Not that it will make any difference to anything, but Rishi should really declare his interest.

Comment

Originally posted by SouWester View Post
            ...... Rishi should really declare his interest.
            His relationship to Infosys is public knowledge. What would you have him declare?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SouWester View Post
              Got a call this morning from a bod at Infosys about a potential role, doing exactly what I am doing now for the same client (Infosys are doing the delivery side). This after I explained to my (Infosys) designer on Friday that I would be leaving the project end March and why.

Spent unproductive but pleasingly vindictive 1/2 hour explaining my perspective and of course chucked in the Rishi/Infosys link. No I will not be carrying on in the same role/project & client unless it is on an outside contract. Soz / not soz.

Unsurprisingly he said Infosys are gearing up to take up the slack of contractors leaving (I swear I could hear the gleeful hand rubbing over the phone). They don't employ contractors.

Not that it will make any difference to anything, but Rishi should really declare his interest.
              What interest? Rishi doesn't have a personal one (his wife might but even then Rishi has made his own money) and these IR35 changes were all in process well before he arrived at HMRC..
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Are you also furious about the higher day rate you're getting compare to permanent employees doing the same/similar job?
                There is no permanent employee in the last 10 years that does a similar job to what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by wiffwaffwaa View Post
                  There is no permanent employee in the last 10 years that does a similar job to what I do.
                  Ok, then you must be irreplaceable. Tell them you'll leave unless they make an exception. Let us know how it goes please.

(have you been at the client for 10 years?)

Comment

According to the FT its a major success for the industry

Rishi Sunak bows to pressure on IR35 tax changes

Rishi Sunak, the chancellor of the exchequer, has bowed to industry pressure over tax changes affecting tens of thousands of companies and 230,000 freelance contractors by promising that tax officials will not be “heavy handed” in enforcing the law for the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      Ok, then you must be irreplaceable. Tell them you'll leave unless they make an exception. Let us know how it goes please.

(have you been at the client for 10 years?)
                      Since you asked.

No I have not been at the client for 10 years.

And no, I am not irreplaceable. There are other contractors out there that are pretty good too.

But yes, for my current engagement with my client they have made a number of determinations, using an external firm. Before this happened, the client assured me that this is only an administrative issue, and should the contract be deemed inside then we would have a discussion wrt rate adjustment.

Not every large client is a headless chicken.

So I am not currently affected by IR35, and even if I was, at my day rate, given the higher rate of dividends, the difference in take home pay to using an umbrella would be 13.6%, which is not great, but not terrible.

So while personally, I am not yet affected by IR35, and in future with my next client, should they have inside contracts, it will mean a 13.6% pay cut prior to any rate adjustments, I abhor what the changes mean on a wider scale, what they do to reduce a flexible workforce, how they will have an adverse tax take impact, how they will mean that more technical work that can be done in the UK will be done overseas.

Comment

Working...
                      X