• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another one bites the dust (NHS IT Project)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one bites the dust (NHS IT Project)

Oops

PSCs to abandon NHS IT project over IR35 changes :: Contractor UK
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

I would expect this to be one of many such stories in the coming weeks.

Part of the problem is that HMRC have given end clients little or no time to prepare for and implement these changes and very good reason to be nervous about getting it wrong.

The knee jerk reaction then is to say "all PSC's are inside" and for all PSC's to say "no thank you".

Return to your seats, fasten belts and ensure seat backs are in their upright position with trays secured - turbulence ahead!

Comment

“XP is no longer stable and no longer supported by Microsoft,” said a techie familiar with the trust’s project.
      If it's an exact quote, NHS contractors at their best...

Rather than stay and accept the trust’s decision, or avoid it but pay more tax by becoming PAYE umbrella staff, the 30 are set to move as one team to an end-user outside of the rules.
      What are the chances of this to happen?

Comment

Something just doesn't seem right about that article. Can't put my finger on what.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          If it's an exact quote, NHS contractors at their best...
          Explains why they're public sector.

Originally posted by sal View Post
          What are the chances of this to happen?
          Lala Land recruiting are they?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Something just doesn't seem right about that article. Can't put my finger on what.
            Having seen the letter referenced by the cited MOD article I can confidently say that it had nothing to do with the upcoming changes. It was almost identicle to a 2016 letter.

Comment

“Our third line IT support [department] are [facing] losing 60 per cent of their workforce who are contractors,” a GSTT insider claimed.
              What puzzles me is how 3rd line IT support is not BoS & BAU and not subject to SDC surely they are in IR35 already regardless of new rules?
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                What puzzles me is how 3rd line IT support is not BoS & BAU and not subject to SDC surely they are in IR35 already regardless of new rules?
                Exactly this......
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  Why are you puzzled? The contractor will have asked the agent for an IR35-friendly contract because that's what they'll have been told to ask for by a friend who's been doing it for years. More Head-in-Sand than Bum-on-Seat and they are the ones who should be running for cover.

This whole thing is designed to throw these types of contractors under a bus and rightly so - they've been falsely declaring themselves as outside. While Hector isn't popular at the moment, the contracting population isn't helping itself.

Comment

I do wish people would stop with the lazy generalisations. You haven't considered the possibility that the client needs a fluid resource for a variable workload during a period of major change and has recruited contractors to fill the gaps? Or that those contractors are sufficiently skilled - let's face it, 3rd line support are rarely dummies in any establishment - to decide how best to fix whatever it is that's gone wrong?

You are in or out of IR35 based on the terms of your engagement and working practices. BaU does not mean you are automatically caught: arguably any coder and BA is far more likely to be caught since they will have direction and supervision in their day-to-day work.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X