• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another one bites the dust (NHS IT Project)"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    So, you don't understand how to spell c*ck either
    No but I can spell tw*t

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Semtex View Post
    Sorry son you don't know anything about my Contracting history going back to 1999.

This is yet another of your I am better than you posts. boring..

offer advice rather than bigging yourself up.
    Newbie alert...

Sorry, had to chuckle, my contracting history goes back to 1992, but with a brief permie interlude the following year. Didn't like it.
    Doesn't make me any better or wiser than anyone else, but it's fun to stir the pot now and again...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Which is why quite a few renounce said citizenship. It's an unconventional approach though - only two countries in the world work like this (the other one is Eritrea).
    On the plus side, the IRS doesn't use time machines to change laws retrospectively.
    That's the biggie. That said, the IR35 tests have been a sham and have, and surely you have to admit this, been abused by many - too many have simply declared themselves outside on the needle-in-a-haystack principle in terms of being happy to take their chances.

It's definitely not a one-way street though; HMRC are responsible, the contractors are responsible but the others who are responsible, who are getting away with everything, are the clients. In many cases they are using contractors simply to avoid business NICs, HR red tape and all the related employment paperwork.

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    USA comes to mind, if you are US citizen, even if you have dual citizenship, you owe US income tax regardless of country of residence. Even if you live and work in a tax haven for years, uncle Sam wants his share.
    Which is why quite a few renounce said citizenship. It's an unconventional approach though - only two countries in the world work like this (the other one is Eritrea).
    On the plus side, the IRS doesn't use time machines to change laws retrospectively.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    And as of today, I can't think of any first world country that makes it more difficult than the UK. Hate the game, not the player.
    USA comes to mind, if you are US citizen, even if you have dual citizenship, you owe US income tax regardless of country of residence. Even if you live and work in a tax haven for years, uncle Sam wants his share.

Leave a comment:

• Semtex
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Tell us again how you're quitting PS next month. Yawn.
    Boring keyboard warrior alert.

Lets agree to ignore each other shall we Rambo?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    This really sums you up.

<emoticon snip>
    Tell us again how you're quitting PS next month. Yawn.
    Last edited by LondonManc; 23 February 2017, 15:34. Reason: Emoticon removed

Leave a comment:

• Semtex
    replied
    I don't want to either. HMRC might though.
    This really sums you up.
    Last edited by Semtex; 23 February 2017, 15:49.

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    At what point have I said HMRC aren't a problem?

That said, my view of them is probably less tainted than yours, having not gone down the schemes route. I am still of the opinion, though, that I can spend my taxes in a more meaningful way than HMG could

The tax, national health and benefits systems all need ripping up and starting again; The NHS was relevant back in the day when we were rebuilding after a war. The tax and benefits systems were put in place back when it was mostly just men that worked - amendments have been like adding more wallpaper to a room without stripping off the old stuff first.

The biggest problem is the lack of tax payers - by that, I mean the number of people working who aren't paying tax for various legal and illegal reasons.

Legal problem:
    Four people on zero hour contracts doing 8-10 hours a week each instead of one person working; all are getting top ups and benefits but all are regarded as not unemployed so the numbers look better; the ultimate in massaging the figures to make the graphs look far better than the actual true numbers.

Illegal problem:
    Cash in hand workers at takeaways, etc. claiming full JSA benefits, etc.

The problem with the latter is the effort involved for the reward on offer, so the easier option is to keep on cranking the tax up for those of us that are in the tax system already.
    The biggest problem is an intentionally unintelligible, two-tier tax system with plethora of loopholes reserved for a certain caste, and confiscatory rates for the rest (the judicial system in this country has similar "problems")
    All countries have their problems, but there are many that manage to have healthcare and employment systems that are both functional and accessible and intelligible by everyone. Having a f-ed up system like the UK's is not inevitable.
    At the end of the day, 99% of folks are interested in exercising their craft in a manner that makes remote economical sense, not "dodging taxes", faking employment, or playing cat and mouse with the local Revenue day in and day out. And as of today, I can't think of any first world country that makes it more difficult than the UK. Hate the game, not the player.
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 23 February 2017, 14:02.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Sorry son you don't know anything about my Contracting history going back to 1999.

I don't want to either. HMRC might though.

Leave a comment:

• Semtex
    replied
    Water off a duck's back. He's usually moaning about the brutal honesty of NLUK recommending seeking an accountant's advice or telling us all that he's leaving the PS in March and making sure he's not paid in April.

I wouldn't expect him to disagree with a system that he's balls deep in.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Bit harsh...
    Water off a duck's back. He's usually moaning about the brutal honesty of NLUK recommending seeking an accountant's advice or telling us all that he's leaving the PS in March and making sure he's not paid in April.

I wouldn't expect him to disagree with a system that he's balls deep in.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Bit harsh...
    So, you don't understand how to spell c*ck either

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    what a croc
    Bit harsh...