• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another one bites the dust (NHS IT Project)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Welcome to CUK, where contractors revel in the misfortunes of other contractors at the hand of the HMRC....
    Not quite - its where contractors have discovered that a lot of people are taking the mickey and are happy to see some of them be chucked overboard...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Welcome to CUK, where contractors revel in the misfortunes of other contractors at the hand of the HMRC....
      Not at all. If they're dodging taxes by making false declarations, then I think it's only right that we're thoroughly piddled off with them. They've brought these changes on all of us.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Not at all. If they're dodging taxes by making false declarations, then I think it's only right that we're thoroughly piddled off with them. They've brought these changes on all of us.
        So HMRC enacts collective punishment because they can't be arsed to police a flawed system of their own making, and you're not piddled off at HMRC, but at your fellow contractors.

Ok.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

So HMRC enacts collective punishment because they can't be arsed to police a flawed system of their own making, and you're not piddled off at HMRC, but at your fellow contractors.

Ok.
          What made you think we are not piddled off at HMRC?

Comment

"Thirty PSC contactors will abandon an overrun £16.5million health service IT project..."

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I wonder if any of 'The 30' have thought to change their LinkedIn profiles so can't be easily identified?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I wonder if any of 'The 30' have thought to change their LinkedIn profiles so can't be easily identified?
                In an ideal world, the thirty would be talking to the press and saying "yes, I was one of those people, this is how it would affect my business, this is a damaging idea, and this is a practical example of how the UK economy will be damaged by ill-thought out policy such as this".

Or at least one of them would.
                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Ok.
                  At what point have I said HMRC aren't a problem?

That said, my view of them is probably less tainted than yours, having not gone down the schemes route. I am still of the opinion, though, that I can spend my taxes in a more meaningful way than HMG could

The tax, national health and benefits systems all need ripping up and starting again; The NHS was relevant back in the day when we were rebuilding after a war. The tax and benefits systems were put in place back when it was mostly just men that worked - amendments have been like adding more wallpaper to a room without stripping off the old stuff first.

The biggest problem is the lack of tax payers - by that, I mean the number of people working who aren't paying tax for various legal and illegal reasons.

Legal problem:
                  Four people on zero hour contracts doing 8-10 hours a week each instead of one person working; all are getting top ups and benefits but all are regarded as not unemployed so the numbers look better; the ultimate in massaging the figures to make the graphs look far better than the actual true numbers.

Illegal problem:
                  Cash in hand workers at takeaways, etc. claiming full JSA benefits, etc.

The problem with the latter is the effort involved for the reward on offer, so the easier option is to keep on cranking the tax up for those of us that are in the tax system already.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    At what point have I said HMRC aren't a problem?

That said, my view of them is probably less tainted than yours, having not gone down the schemes route. I am still of the opinion, though, that I can spend my taxes in a more meaningful way than HMG could

The tax, national health and benefits systems all need ripping up and starting again; The NHS was relevant back in the day when we were rebuilding after a war. The tax and benefits systems were put in place back when it was mostly just men that worked - amendments have been like adding more wallpaper to a room without stripping off the old stuff first.

The biggest problem is the lack of tax payers - by that, I mean the number of people working who aren't paying tax for various legal and illegal reasons.

Legal problem:
                    Four people on zero hour contracts doing 8-10 hours a week each instead of one person working; all are getting top ups and benefits but all are regarded as not unemployed so the numbers look better; the ultimate in massaging the figures to make the graphs look far better than the actual true numbers.

Illegal problem:
                    Cash in hand workers at takeaways, etc. claiming full JSA benefits, etc.

The problem with the latter is the effort involved for the reward on offer, so the easier option is to keep on cranking the tax up for those of us that are in the tax system already.
                    what a croc

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
                      What a crock
                      FTFY
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X