• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    Is it a straight acceptance that a tax hit of (say) 20pc means rates will go up by 20pc, or does it look like they will go down the consultant route instead?
    Realistically, if I'm on a 500/day outside gig, I'd want 900/day inside to be at a consultant's beck and call. Or 800/day and they pick up travel and accommodation expenses.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Realistically, if I'm on a 500/day outside gig, I'd want 900/day inside to be at a consultant's beck and call. Or 800/day and they pick up travel and accommodation expenses.
      I'm just wondering whether the clients now realise - and accept - what we have known for some time. We will work under the new conditions but it will cost infinitely more.

Ironically working inside (for the right one price) is much easier for us. Potentially no need for insurances, no worry etc

Comment

I'm just wondering whether the clients now realise - and accept - what we have known for some time. We will work under the new conditions but it will cost infinitely more.

Ironically working inside (for the right one price) is much easier for us. Potentially no need for insurances, no worry etc
        Correct. You'd save £100-£150 a month on accountancy and insurance fees on top of the lack of hassle. Is it too optimistic to think that the PS are doing this to push rates up to make PAYE/NI figures, etc look better through higher rates? Probably.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Is it a straight acceptance that a tax hit of (say) 20pc means rates will go up by 20pc, or does it look like they will go down the consultant route instead?
          I think many are still at the 'shock' stage. No real information or plans coming out.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

I read somewhere that Tfl were one of the bodies insisting that contractors use the brolly route. So high employee tax rates, no T&S expenses and none of the employee benefits. Hope they have a lot of tulipty sticks available as they are going to be beating applicants off for that!!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Correct. You'd save £100-£150 a month on accountancy and insurance fees on top of the lack of hassle. Is it too optimistic to think that the PS are doing this to push rates up to make PAYE/NI figures, etc look better through higher rates? Probably.
              Ha, that suggests they thought it through, not something I have ever seen from gov

Comment

Ha, that suggests they thought it through, not something I have ever seen from gov
                I think we'll strike that one down to happy coincidence then.

Comment

Had an agent who has put me forward for a (private sector) contract having a half hearted attempt to sell the UK Hydrographic office to me. Appalling rate and would have to be under PAYE. Other than that fine.

Sounds like they will take on anyone who vaguely fits the job description now.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Had an agent who has put me forward for a (private sector) contract having a half hearted attempt to sell the UK Hydrographic office to me. Appalling rate and would have to be under PAYE. Other than that fine.

Sounds like they will take on anyone who vaguely fits the job description now.
                    Time for suity and Wilmslow to go PS then.

Comment

Time for suity and Wilmslow to go PS then.
                      And PC who will just do whatever he's told. Weeks notice period at my last place so no worries on that front.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X