• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmrc disguised remuneration loans information required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taxed View Post

Yes I did. Out of the 18 professionals i work with, only 1 went with a differnt genuine schem and the other 17 including myself went this route. I then left as i wanted a more permanant job so 16 are still at it. I have shared the letter from hmrc with them and was shocked to learn that of all the 17 of us, I was the last to get this leter. They all got theirs from early 2021 till March this year. I suggested we open a whatsapp group to discuss this and only 2 agreed, the rest refused and they are adamant they are in the right!. The 2 who agreed with me, I feel for the lady as she is in complete melt down as well and I have had to drive to see her this morning as she only leaves a few miles from me. She couldnt even take her kids to school with the shock of this issue. I asked her what she did when she got the same letter last year and she said the umbrella also told her that all is good and they even emailed and reassured her so she ignored this. So if i only know 18 within my network, I hate to think how many are involved elsewhre in other areas. Its a time bomb waiting to happen and I am glad i made it here. I sent this link to my collegeues and those watching as I know you are here right now, please leave these schemes, they will only lead to far much worse for us.
    You have done the 100% correct thing. The thing about being in the right is open to huge amounts of ambiguity, hearsay and wishful thinking (not to mention being legally wrong).

Yes these schemes were deemed legal for a while, but definitely many of the avoidance schemes had been overturned by HMRC and by the time you seemingly signed up! A quick Google search will reveal so much more about EBTs/Loan Schemes etc., however at every tribunal HMRC have eventually won.

You can't worry about your head in the sand colleagues now.

I am not sure about this but I would have thought a scheme entered into after the LoanCharge Act will mean you have no way to settle, the options we had way back when was either settle or face the LoanCharge act, I know many are still fighting but their lives seem utterly miserable because of it, again a quick Twitter search of APPG will show you what some are going through (or hamming up you can decide).

Get professional help as soon as you can, because although we have been through this I had professional help all the way.

It's a horrible time, with lots of headless chicken mode to go through, but you have this forum to help you through this with support, you'll quickly work out the good advisors on here. Remember though this is only money and life is more important.

Still no name of the Umbrella? Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
      The most abhorrent thing about this is the fact these schemes are still being promoted!

I just can't believe this is still going on...
      I have been saying this every year for the past decade or so. There never seems to be a shortage of crooks willing to peddle these scams, and sadly no shortage of gullible punters for them to prey on.

Of course HMRC could do more but, to be fair, it has been well publicised everywhere that these schemes will only end badly.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I have been saying this every year for the past decade or so. There never seems to be a shortage of crooks willing to peddle these scams, and sadly no shortage of gullible punters for them to prey on.

Of course HMRC could do more but, to be fair, it has been well publicised everywhere that these schemes will only end badly.
        I think the issue comes down to agencies doing anything and everything for a buck....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I think the issue comes down to agencies doing anything and everything for a buck....
          Undoubtedly true. But despite all the publicity, there's still far too many people out there who only hear what they want to hear. Until that changes, this is going to run and run. Sadly.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

the rest refused and they are adamant they are in the right!.
            Right up until the moment the umbrella fires them and shuts up shop.

Oh Dear…
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              But despite all the publicity, there's still far too many people out there who only hear what they want to hear. Until that changes, this is going to run and run. Sadly.
              85-90% take home. Human nature I'm afraid.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Right up until the moment the umbrella fires them and shuts up shop.

Oh Dear…
                Quite

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

85-90% take home. Human nature I'm afraid.
                  Sad, but true.

Comment

I did work for this umbrella company
                    Would you be prepared to tell me which umbrella - by private message if you'd prefer.

Chief Executive, FCSA
                    - Former CEO OF IPSE
                    - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
                    - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

Hi guys many thanks for all your support. I have more questions that I am currently summing up. I will disclose the name in the next few days, as I have sent the bumbrella in question an email and the other guy I work with will send them an email tonight asking if they can shed some light but we doubt we are going to get anything positive. The other guys in my team, are with different umbrella's but they are all based on the same exact strategy and the other 16 have now shut me out completly. One of them even tried to accuse me of "grassing" them up with hmrc. They are now all paranoid but rather than deal with the issue, its now come to finding the "grass". I have told them that based on what I know, hmrc must have been aware and it was only a mtter of time, but clearly there is now a "hunt for the grass". The umbrella companies are still lying to the lot that it is all ok and now they are turing on me lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X