• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gikap
    replied
    Thank you for your answer

Originally posted by eek View Post
    i.e. you are trying to demonstrate you are an actual business not just someone working via a limited company.
    Is there any hope for those of us who were just a someone working via our own limited company for a single client at a time and have used Boox or CK just for accounting?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by gikap View Post
    Is there a good resource or a template or an example or a guide on how to best prepare an appeal? Things to include, provide, what to mention, how to argue certain things, what works and what does not, what are good proofs to attach etc.
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2924948 will be as good a starting point as you will find elsewhere.

Basically document everything that shows you made your own decisions and if possible that you employed other people - i.e. you are trying to demonstrate you are an actual business not just someone working via a limited company.

Leave a comment:

• gikap
    replied
    Is there a good resource or a template or an example or a guide on how to best prepare an appeal? Things to include, provide, what to mention, how to argue certain things, what works and what does not, what are good proofs to attach etc.

Leave a comment:

• Chevalier
    replied
    Originally posted by ritwolf View Post

Thank you, yes I'm reading and hopefully will be up to speed over the weekend. I just wanted to ask, should I appeal now that I have received the first letter, or wait for the determination letter with the amounts they are claiming?

I just wanted to know if it's ok for now to wait until the next letter or you'd recommend doing something at this stage (like Pay on account to avoid further interests, etc.).

Many thanks
    Until you receive an appealable decision (ie the Determinations) you have nothing that you can appeal

Leave a comment:

• ritwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

It's set out very clearly what you need to do throughout this thread. I am afraid you are going to have to read more of the thread. It's all there.
    Thank you, yes I'm reading and hopefully will be up to speed over the weekend. I just wanted to ask, should I appeal now that I have received the first letter, or wait for the determination letter with the amounts they are claiming?

I just wanted to know if it's ok for now to wait until the next letter or you'd recommend doing something at this stage (like Pay on account to avoid further interests, etc.).

Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Raptors88 View Post

I don’t actually have a tax adviser (I only use Churchill Knight for accounts). Did you just write to HMRC directly with your specific situation? I have proposals showing multiple consultants/associates within a project - maybe this could serve as sufficient evidence?
    It's not as torturous as it sounds. HMRC do know what and who you pay and how and when you pay them. Payroll and employee information is what they need they dealt with mine pretty quickly really. You just need evidence and you'll have all of that and so will CK and so will HMRC.

Just get your appeal in anyway and then start talking/calling them. I got my MP involved initially which helped the wheels turn I think.

If your company operated the way it did then HMRC know this and they just need reminding. They blanket bombed all of CK and Boox's clients with made up figures and made up accusations just to meet deadlines.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ritwolf View Post
    Please help, I wasn't aware of this.

I was with Boox between 2018 - 2020 before I switched accountants. My current accountants just sent me today a scanned copy of the letter (which is dated December'22 but he just received a few days ago).

This letter is not the determination one but the previous one where they inform me that they consider my company to be a MSC. There are no amounts specified.

I have started reading this thread and hoping to catch up in the next few days. Is there anything I can do now or do I have to wait until I receive the determination letter?
    It's set out very clearly what you need to do throughout this thread. I am afraid you are going to have to read more of the thread. It's all there.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

I don’t actually have a tax adviser (I only use Churchill Knight for accounts). Did you just write to HMRC directly with your specific situation? I have proposals showing multiple consultants/associates within a project - maybe this could serve as sufficient evidence?
    I believe you will have to show evidence like employment contracts and pay roll documents to convince HMRC that you weren't a one man band.

Leave a comment:

• mogga71
    replied
    Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

Paystream have a LTD company arm to their services
    Yip I know .... I am actually with them ....thats why I said 'better known' as Umbrella Companies. If HMRC want to target them then they will have to just target the LTD Company clients as they can't say Paystream is a MSCP so everybody will be hit with letters as it would be a total waste of time and resources for the 'always' Umbrella clients which I would guess would be the majority of their clients.
    Last edited by mogga71; 20 January 2023, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

proposals aren’t enough - you will need go show payments from your company to those people

Leave a comment:

Working...
X