• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chevalier View Post

So we agree that its the clients payment as income, which means the proportion paid can be much higher than 50% (depending on the quantum) and still not be an MSC.
    No we are saying that if your company was an MSC the consequences are that all income from the client will be regarded as taxable income to the MSC owner.

Which is why HMRC have been careful to exclude any companies who employed non family members as that destroyed their MSC argument
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

No we are saying that if your company was an MSC the consequences are that all income from the client will be regarded as taxable income to the MSC owner.

Which is why HMRC have been careful to exclude any companies who employed non family members as that destroyed their MSC argument
      I’m not talking about the value of the deemed payment, I’m talking about the definition of what actually is an MSC

Comment

So we agree that its the clients payment as income, which means the proportion paid can be much higher than 50% (depending on the quantum) and still not be an MSC.
        I don't see how you got there from what I wrote. Anyway, no, I don't agree. Clause 61B(1)(c) isn't about the fraction of income received by the MSC that is paid out to the worker, which is dealt with in 61B(1)(b), rather it is dealing with the advantage gained by being paid via an MSC, regardless of how that advantage is gained and through what means the worker receives the payment (or from who).

In other words, if 1.0 is the fee charged and 0.75 is the multiplier (to achieve "net of tax") for payments received by the worker via the MSC route and 0.5 is the multiplier for payments received by the worker via the employed route, then 61B(1)(c) isn't saying that you are free and clear merely because you received 0.666 via the MSC route and 0.666 * 0.75 = 0.4995 < 0.5, which you would've received as an employee (1.0 * 0.5 = 0.5), i.e. it doesn't adjust the threshold from "equal to the greater part of the consideration" in 61B(1)(b) to greater than 66.6% of the consideration in this scenario. It is saying that 0.75 * 0.666 > 0.5 * 0.666, i.e., you received an advantage from the MSC being interposed.

Again, I am just a contractor like most of us posting here, but that is my reading of it.

Comment

I’m not talking about the value of the deemed payment, I’m talking about the definition of what actually is an MSC
          The definition of an MSC depending on how you read the Costello ruling (which is now case law) may be as simple as the director followed the advice of their accountant when setting how much was taken as salary.

I really wouldn't be trying to be clever here.

Comment

In the following "noddy" example, if the PSC is treated as an MSC, what figure would be subject to PAYE, £85,000 or £70,000?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	MSC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.3 KB ID:	4245709
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              In the following "noddy" example, if the PSC is treated as an MSC, what figure would be subject to PAYE, £85,000 or £70,000?
              Click image for larger version Name:	MSC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.3 KB ID:	4245709
              £85,000 I believe.

Comment

Well, I originally leaned towards £85k, although I was mainly focused on the worst case scenario, but after reading the legislation/ESM and discussing with jofo above, I think it is pretty straightforwardly £70k, not £85k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

£85,000 I believe.
                  I will say that a lot of commentators agree with you, but I think the legislation and ESM is actually quite clear on this point.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I don't see how you got there from what I wrote. Anyway, no, I don't agree. Clause 61B(1)(c) isn't about the fraction of income received by the MSC that is paid out to the worker, which is dealt with in 61B(1)(b), rather it is dealing with the advantage gained by being paid via an MSC, regardless of how that advantage is gained and through what means the worker receives the payment (or from who).

In other words, if 1.0 is the fee charged and 0.75 is the multiplier (to achieve "net of tax") for payments received by the worker via the MSC route and 0.5 is the multiplier for payments received by the worker via the employed route, then 61B(1)(c) isn't saying that you are free and clear merely because you received 0.666 via the MSC route and 0.666 * 0.75 = 0.4995 < 0.5, which you would've received as an employee (1.0 * 0.5 = 0.5), i.e. it doesn't adjust the threshold from "equal to the greater part of the consideration" in 61B(1)(b) to greater than 66.6% of the consideration in this scenario. It is saying that 0.75 * 0.666 > 0.5 * 0.666, i.e., you received an advantage from the MSC being interposed.

Again, I am just a contractor like most of us posting here, but that is my reading of it.
                    As indeed we all are (+1)

In my own opinion I see 61B(1)(a)-(c) as protections in the legislation to ensure that Ltds aren’t inadvertently caught by the legislation

In the case of (c) I see this asking the question of how much you received in your pocket in absolute terms compared to what an employee would have received earning the same total fees - based upon the presumption that probably nobody would put themselves in such a structure (MSC) if they earned less.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      Click image for larger version Name:	MSC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.3 KB ID:	4245709
                      I would lean towards the £70k. Just don't see how HMRC can claim liabilities on money which has not been paid to an employee, how can anything be disguised renumeration, if it's sitting in a company and a company bank account somewhere and never been paid to anyone?

Comment

Working...
                      X