• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lotok View Post

I dont remember the Boox video, but I wonder if it depends on when you signed up with them. I had used Boox nearly 9 years. They did register the business for me at my request, but other than that they just calculated my Corp tax and did my submissions. I don't know what other more hands on services they offered. got a link to the video?

But maybe HMRC need to consider what services each client had from them.
    I don't have a link I'm afraid, it was linked in this post but it was so damming I imagine Boox deleted it from YT.

Comment

So we had the update today July 14th and it wasn't the BIG one but it seems even more companies (CK clients obviously) have been removed from the investigations.

A good sign I believe, as those of us who were removed early on who were obviously not MSCs are now being joined by others who may have not been so obvious when this all began a good sign or a honing in on the obvious targets to ensure victory? Is that the cynic in me?

I'm sticking with the good sign and being positive
      Last edited by GregRickshaw; 14 July 2023, 18:58.

Comment

I think it's both. It's a good (inevitable?) sign because they're admitting that not all of the alleged MSCs are, in fact, MSCs, so they won't be able to treat everyone the same, but we also kinda knew that. I agree that they will be looking for the weakest links and to continue incrementing tribunal/court decisions in their favour, creating new case law if it reaches UTTT or higher.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
          So we had the update today July 14th and it wasn't the BIG one but it seems even more companies (CK clients obviously) have been removed from the investigations.

A good sign I believe, as those of us who were removed early on who were obviously not MSCs are now being joined by others who may have not been so obvious when this all began a good sign or a honing in on the obvious targets to ensure victory? Is that the cynic in me?

I'm sticking with the good sign and being positive
          The companies that have been removed... do you know anything about them? Just trying to find out what makes HMRC consider what companies are still MSCs.

Comment

Originally posted by ritwolf View Post

The companies that have been removed... do you know anything about them? Just trying to find out what makes HMRC consider what companies are still MSCs.
            In my case 17/18 & 18/19 were removed (I believe) because my company was a full on a consultancy, I had up to five employees (including me) at one point.

Hoping now though HMRC are removing not so obvious ones from the list, we don't have any details as yet though.

What HMRC are trying to get at are the LTDs which were in essence just tax avoidance which I suspect 99% of contractors use their LTDs for.

The other way, I have read on here and there are some very good details responses on this post, is to pay less the 50% of your income out of your company, that is horribly paraphrased so have a search through this forum and this post for the better detail.

BTW still haven't had my PoA money back yet

Comment

Any idea when the tribunal hearing might be? It should be an interesting one to follow.

I can't help thinking HMRC have overreached with this. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Not overreached as such (certainly not with Boox it appears), but I think that they thought that it was an easier fish to land than it turns out to be, and they need to refine their attack in order to win it.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I expect some of those that they're getting around to eliminating now we not actually clients of CK or Boox during the tax years in question, but were on their books in earlier or later years. Remember, all these Reg 80 determinations were rushed out to meet a deadline and it's easier for HMRC to capture absolutely everyone with even the slightest chance of a potential liability, initially, and then to de-blunder later.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
                    The other way, I have read on here and there are some very good details responses on this post, is to pay less the 50% of your income out of your company, that is horribly paraphrased so have a search through this forum and this post for the better detail.
                    I've been trying to get mine thrown out on this basis since it all started and HMRC are just ignoring the argument and refusing to engage

Comment

Originally posted by antuk View Post

I've been trying to get mine thrown out on this basis since it all started and HMRC are just ignoring the argument and refusing to engage
                      TBF, these are probably going to be the last ones to get thrown out because it will need to be evidenced and the calculation may be disputed, but the legislation is nevertheless clear about the qualifying conditions for being an MSC, of which this is one.

Comment

Working...
                      X