• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    HMRC have now admitted that the NICs can't be collected due to the 1980 limitation act.
    Is the argument that NICs aren't a tax or duty?

s37 2(a) says that that Limitation Act does not apply in "any proceedings by the Crown for the recovery of any tax or duty or interest on any tax or duty", so is the argument that NICs are none of those and therefore the act applies?

Edit

I guess it must be - the Chancellor announced in 2016 and 2017 that the limit would be removed from April 2018. More info here.
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 17 January 2018, 16:51.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Is the argument that NICs aren't a tax or duty?

s37 2(a) says that that Limitation Act does not apply in "any proceedings by the Crown for the recovery of any tax or duty or interest on any tax or duty", so is the argument that NICs are none of those and therefore the act applies?

Edit

I guess it must be - the Chancellor announced in 2016 and 2017 that the limit would be removed from April 2018. More info here.
      I believe you are wrong(happy to be proved otherwise).

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2521607

Effectively HMRC selectively quoted from the rulebook. Criminal behaviour.

Comment

Is it not the fact that NIC is applied by virtue of a separate piece of legislation and as, in theory, the purpose is to swell the National Insurance Fund, i.e. it's a levy, then the Limitation Act applies to impose a deadline.

Tax is a charge on income or profit etc and is subject to its own rules?

Certainly some of our clients have been contacted by HMRC and advised that they may have paid NIC in error and that they will refund if asked. On the other hand if you want to leave that voluntary payment with us....
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          Is it not the fact that NIC is applied by virtue of a separate piece of legislation and as, in theory, the purpose is to swell the National Insurance Fund, i.e. it's a levy, then the Limitation Act applies to impose a deadline.

Tax is a charge on income or profit etc and is subject to its own rules?

Certainly some of our clients have been contacted by HMRC and advised that they may have paid NIC in error and that they will refund if asked. On the other hand if you want to leave that voluntary payment with us....
          As above, I know others who get a cheque with no letter. And others who applied that turned down.

All taxpayers treated equally?

This is a CRIMINAL deliberate mistake.

Comment

What's the exact wording I should use when writing to HMRC about this? I definitely paid Class 4 NICs as part of the settlement - is there some link or template letter I can use? At the minute I'd be blindly quoting "NICS/LA1980 means you owe me a refund" which doesn't demonstrate I know what I'm talking about (accurate)

Comment

Odd. I thought you could still pursue debt which is statute barred under the Limitation Act - just that a court wouldn't allow you to enforce it.

And if you are paid - you definitely don't have to give it back. So I am surprised that HMRC are issuing refunds on the basis of the Limitation Act.

I'm probably missing some detail though.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Odd. I thought you could still pursue debt which is statute barred under the Limitation Act - just that a court wouldn't allow you to enforce it.

And if you are paid - you definitely don't have to give it back. So I am surprised that HMRC are issuing refunds on the basis of the Limitation Act.

I'm probably missing some detail though.
                It's not a debt in the sense of a loan. It's a duty or levy that has to be charged within a given period in order to be valid.

Don't confuse this with a loan where the statute of limitation begins at the point the money is demanded to be repaid and ends 6 years after that if the lender has not executed their rights.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by nearlyover View Post
                  What's the exact wording I should use when writing to HMRC about this? I definitely paid Class 4 NICs as part of the settlement - is there some link or template letter I can use? At the minute I'd be blindly quoting "NICS/LA1980 means you owe me a refund" which doesn't demonstrate I know what I'm talking about (accurate)
                  PM me.

I'll give you an email address.

Once I've run some checks on you, I'll give you some words.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Read this...

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/nim17605

How much clearer do HMRC need to make this to themselves???

To attempt to collect NIC once it has been written off by the Limitation Act surely amounts to an attempt to defraud the taxpayer!

Comment

Originally posted by IH8GordonB View Post
                      Read this...

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/nim17605

How much clearer do HMRC need to make this to themselves???

To attempt to collect NIC once it has been written off by the Limitation Act surely amounts to an attempt to defraud the taxpayer!
                      In my view this is more cock up than conspiracy.

A sad reflection that the tax knowledge in HMRC is declining at a horrifying rate and blind obedience to process and procedure is what we get.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X