• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Just ignore the useless bunch of twats. I heard they charged one person 3 grand for their piece of toilet paper LOR.
    +1

Originally posted by eek View Post
    The montpelier approach was to delay the inevitable. By endless legal actions that had NO chance of success.
    Not sure I quite agree with that. Up until the JR for the 2008 retrospective legislation they had a very good chance. The courts said that parliament can rule that black is white and white is black.

Comment

I'm in the middle of taking Corrective Action in time for a 19/12 deadline, paying 6 years worth of APN's for the DTA scheme for 6 years (2003 to 2008 inclusive).

I've just been on the HMRC website and been horrified at the amount of interest they will charge (sadly I didn't have a CTD).

Has anyone settled such periods? What was the overall interest, as a percentage of the tax and NI?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleTurtle View Post
        I'm in the middle of taking Corrective Action in time for a 19/12 deadline, paying 6 years worth of APN's for the DTA scheme for 6 years (2003 to 2008 inclusive).

I've just been on the HMRC website and been horrified at the amount of interest they will charge (sadly I didn't have a CTD).

Has anyone settled such periods? What was the overall interest, as a percentage of the tax and NI?
        https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...al-beyond.html

Accrued Interest Calculation

The following percentages are rough estimates as of December 2011 to be used as a guide only. Currently, interest* is accruing at 3% p.a.

Tax Year...........%
        2001/2.............54
        2002/3.............47
        2003/4.............41
        2004/5.............34
        2005/6.............27
        2006/7.............20
        2007/8.............12

* HMRC charge bank base + 2.5%

------------------------
        Remember interest is simple rather than accrued. So I think current rates are: -

Tax Year...........%
        2001/2.............69
        2002/3.............65
        2003/4.............59
        2004/5.............52
        2005/6.............45
        2006/7.............38
        2007/8.............30

Comment

If you've taken Corrective Action and paid NICs

You've been robbed by HMRC.

HMRC have now admitted that the NICs can't be collected due to the 1980 limitation act.

Write to them and demand the return of the money + interest.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

HMRC have now admitted that the NICs can't be collected due to the 1980 limitation act.

Does this affect all schemes and even the 2019LC?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Does this affect all schemes and even the 2019LC?
              Yes it affects all schemes. However I believe statue of limitation is 6 years.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be doing just that.

What's even more galling is one of the grounds in my representation was the limitation act but HMRC rejected that.

Comment

Sorry DealorNoDeal, do you have a link to something where we can see HMRC's admission ?

Comment

Originally posted by Broke View Post
                    Sorry DealorNoDeal, do you have a link to something where we can see HMRC's admission ?
                    They haven't put anything out in public.

When I heard about it, I phoned the Solicitor's Office, who rejected my representation, and they confirmed that they're too late to collect NICs for 2009/10 and earlier.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

HMRC went by the rulebook. Except they removed the first bit which said it was statute barred!

Even now HMRC are being duplicitous. In some cases they are sending a refund cheque - no accompanying letter. In other cases they are insisting you have to quote "NICS/LA1980" to get a refund!

This is being reported to MPs as yet another example as to how HMRC misuse their powers. However that is not all.

A friend of mine (a criminal lawyer - actually studied Law alongside my brother at Cambridge) thinks HMRC responsible senior management and their individual officers (those who signed off theFN/APNS and the LoR rejection letters) are liable for criminal prosecution for knowingly enforcing an unenforceable debt on individual taxpayers......his comments not mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X