• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Demand for contractors outside London to work in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in SE London, my area isn't so bad.
    "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Indeed. There seems to be this misconception that because somebody successfully subjects themselves to a high-pressure environment in return for a lot of money, they must be particularly talented. All it really means is that they are very good at herd behaviour.

If they had a spark of initiative or independence of thought, they'd find a way to succeed without having to put up with that crap; and furthermore, they would probably define "success" in terms that weren't much more beneficial to those above them in the hierarchy of enslavement to which they have willingly bound themselves.
      Most cannot take high pressure, especially dev sorts, prima Donna shrinking violets the lot of you.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Most cannot take high pressure, especially dev sorts, prima Donna shrinking violets the lot of you.
        In most cases high pressure environments are simply a management failing, there is no need for them. There are exceptions of course, and everyone needs a bit of pressure now and then, but these places where the expectation is for 10-12 hrs a day every day are simply badly run and not getting the best out of their people. Whether they can "take it" or not they will generally perform better in a less stressful environment. Nearly everyone does.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          In most cases high pressure environments are simply a management failing, there is no need for them. There are exceptions of course, and everyone needs a bit of pressure now and then, but these places where the expectation is for 10-12 hrs a day every day are simply badly run and not getting the best out of their people. Whether they can "take it" or not they will generally perform better in a less stressful environment. Nearly everyone does.
          WHS.
          2 x people doing 6 hrs will yield a greater return than 1 x person doing 12 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            +1 A project being delivered by every day 'project heroics' is not sustainable, if 12 hours a day is the norm then where does the extra come from when deadlines require more effort? Project I am on has been 9 to 5.30 five days a week gig for the last year, we are near a release though hence I have started working more hours and am even working from home to support go live prep over the Easter weekend (am not denying that time and a half billing isn't helping my motivation though )

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              WHS.
              2 x people doing 6 hrs will yield a greater return than 1 x person doing 12 hrs.
              yes but the single person on Salary costs half the price. You can always hire a younger cheaper one if the present one folds.

The thing you need to convince them is that being organised and doing the job in 6 hours is better, higher quality and more efficient than being disorganised and doing the job in 12.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X