• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Demand for contractors outside London to work in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Nope - whether London's market will ever be for other than Londoners.....
    It's just not that practical to work here if you live hours away. Thats why the whole se is so expensive to live in, basically
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Non-Londoners tend to be of inferior character and talent to Londoners - after all only the best are successful in London, since they have to compete with the best from around the world.
      Any fool can toodle along in some public-sector or provincial company contract outside the SE, only the best can thrive in the cauldron that is London.
      That's why non-Londoners aren't usually considered for roles in London.

HTH.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        It's just not that practical to work here if you live hours away. Thats why the whole se is so expensive to live in, basically
        When I get gigs in London I have roughly a 2 hour commute each way (depending on where in London) on the trains. It has not stopped me from winning contracts, or from fulfilling them.

Comment

I know roughly how much a Gig in London will cost me to take, compared to one closer to home. Provided the rate at least covers that plus a bit extra for the inconvieniance then I'm happy to take one. Generally an uplift of £100/day covers it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
            When I get gigs in London I have roughly a 2 hour commute each way (depending on where in London) on the trains. It has not stopped me from winning contracts, or from fulfilling them.
            No, and lots of people manage it, but you have to admit 4 hours of commuting is a PITA.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              No, and lots of people manage it, but you have to admit 4 hours of commuting is a PITA.
              Oh yes, it is. Up about 06:00 each day, home anywhere between 19:00 and 20:00. Pot luck whether I can get a seat either way (if I can then at least I get to have a bit of a nap).

Luckily most of my contracts are fairly short (3 months is quite normal, although I've had up to 18 months), and it's one reason why I don't look for the next one until the first finishes - so I can take a break from the commute for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Non-Londoners tend to be of inferior character and talent to Londoners - after all only the best are successful in London, since they have to compete with the best from around the world.
                Any fool can toodle along in some public-sector or provincial company contract outside the SE, only the best can thrive in the cauldron that is London.

HTH.
                And here above is why true cutting edge projects like advanced jet engine software and eurofighter avionics are based in the north! BTW just being testing my new software out by bombing the feck out of Canary Wharf !
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                  Oh yes, it is. Up about 06:00 each day, home anywhere between 19:00 and 20:00. Pot luck whether I can get a seat either way (if I can then at least I get to have a bit of a nap).

Luckily most of my contracts are fairly short (3 months is quite normal, although I've had up to 18 months), and it's one reason why I don't look for the next one until the first finishes - so I can take a break from the commute for a while.
                  That's my point - wouldn't it make sense to get a contract for significantly lower that is local and not have to effectively "throw away" 3 months of your life for it. £100/day doesn't really do it if you factor in the time off you have to take between contracts.... You are looking at more like £150/day at least.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

HTH.
                    I guess it's where the b(w)ankers blow the rest of the county's money on their gambling addiction. Perhaps we are stupid to let those thieves continuously get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      And here above is why true cutting edge projects like advanced jet engine software and eurofighter avionics are based in the north! BTW just being testing my new software out by bombing the feck out of Canary Wharf !
                      Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      I guess it's where the b(w)ankers blow the rest of the county's money on their gambling addiction. Perhaps we are stupid to let those thieves continuously get away with it.
                      Disappointing. I go fishing and catch two tiddlers, intellectually speaking.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X