• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Demand for contractors outside London to work in London"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    WHS.
    2 x people doing 6 hrs will yield a greater return than 1 x person doing 12 hrs.
    yes but the single person on Salary costs half the price. You can always hire a younger cheaper one if the present one folds.

The thing you need to convince them is that being organised and doing the job in 6 hours is better, higher quality and more efficient than being disorganised and doing the job in 12.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    In most cases high pressure environments are simply a management failing, there is no need for them. There are exceptions of course, and everyone needs a bit of pressure now and then, but these places where the expectation is for 10-12 hrs a day every day are simply badly run and not getting the best out of their people. Whether they can "take it" or not they will generally perform better in a less stressful environment. Nearly everyone does.
    +1 A project being delivered by every day 'project heroics' is not sustainable, if 12 hours a day is the norm then where does the extra come from when deadlines require more effort? Project I am on has been 9 to 5.30 five days a week gig for the last year, we are near a release though hence I have started working more hours and am even working from home to support go live prep over the Easter weekend (am not denying that time and a half billing isn't helping my motivation though )

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    In most cases high pressure environments are simply a management failing, there is no need for them. There are exceptions of course, and everyone needs a bit of pressure now and then, but these places where the expectation is for 10-12 hrs a day every day are simply badly run and not getting the best out of their people. Whether they can "take it" or not they will generally perform better in a less stressful environment. Nearly everyone does.
    WHS.
    2 x people doing 6 hrs will yield a greater return than 1 x person doing 12 hrs.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Most cannot take high pressure, especially dev sorts, prima Donna shrinking violets the lot of you.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Indeed. There seems to be this misconception that because somebody successfully subjects themselves to a high-pressure environment in return for a lot of money, they must be particularly talented. All it really means is that they are very good at herd behaviour.

If they had a spark of initiative or independence of thought, they'd find a way to succeed without having to put up with that crap; and furthermore, they would probably define "success" in terms that weren't much more beneficial to those above them in the hierarchy of enslavement to which they have willingly bound themselves.
    Most cannot take high pressure, especially dev sorts, prima Donna shrinking violets the lot of you.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Potter
    replied
    I live in SE London, my area isn't so bad.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I don't think that would pass an IR35 review

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Does not compute.
    Sheltered life?

Sample Consensual "Slavery" Contract

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    of enslavement to which they have willingly bound themselves.
    Does not compute.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    What if someone believes working 12 hour days under high pressure with ultra high living costs in a high crime, over populated city, full off immigrants is not attractive. I enjoy visiting London, but to work/live there would be my personal hell.
    Indeed. There seems to be this misconception that because somebody successfully subjects themselves to a high-pressure environment in return for a lot of money, they must be particularly talented. All it really means is that they are very good at herd behaviour.

If they had a spark of initiative or independence of thought, they'd find a way to succeed without having to put up with that crap; and furthermore, they would probably define "success" in terms that weren't much more beneficial to those above them in the hierarchy of enslavement to which they have willingly bound themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Gym beast
    replied
    What if someone believes working 12 hour days under high pressure with ultra high living costs in a high crime, over populated city, full off immigrants is not attractive. I enjoy visiting London, but to work/live there would be my personal hell.

Then that person should do what I do. Live + work just outside it, and dive in/out on the weekends.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
    As an ex-Londoner I largely agree with his underlying point, the fact is that many of the highest talents of the north and west of England have made their way to London to thrive.

That said, for whatever reverse entropy my own most lucrative contracts have been west of London.

I may move back but I love living outside it but in spitting distance of a tube line terminus. It's become a sh1thole in the last 20-30 years

Leave a comment:

• Gym beast
    replied
    So you believe a persons intellect and talent is a result of which city they are born/live? Intresting to see how an idiot thinks.

As an ex-Londoner I largely agree with his underlying point, the fact is that many of the highest talents of the north and west of England have made their way to London to thrive.

That said, for whatever reverse entropy my own most lucrative contracts have been west of London.

I may move back but I love living outside it but in spitting distance of a tube line terminus. It's become a sh1thole in the last 20-30 years

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Non-Londoners tend to be of inferior character and talent to Londoners - after all only the best are successful in London, since they have to compete with the best from around the world.
    Any fool can toodle along in some public-sector or provincial company contract outside the SE, only the best can thrive in the cauldron that is London.
    That's why non-Londoners aren't usually considered for roles in London.

HTH.
    So you believe a persons intellect and talent is a result of which city they are born/live? Intresting to see how an idiot thinks.

Leave a comment:

• Gym beast
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    And here above is why true cutting edge projects like advanced jet engine software and eurofighter avionics are based in the north! BTW just being testing my new software out by bombing the feck out of Canary Wharf !

They're based in wilds because the financial hubs of London, near surrounds, Leeds/Edinburgh have taken the best and brightest, you're paid to churn out crap, and get away with it because of DV clearance.

Oh, and I've got six little letters for you....

IED LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X