• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon web services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep, agree. To be fair it is only a dev environment, and not production so the world won't stop turning.

Hats off to you infra guys.
    To be fair, you'd hate to see what I do in C# and you'd probably cry at some of the scripts I've got knocking about out there, so I guess it equals out

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    [/I]That gig went on for 3 years (@900/day.) Happy times.
    Oh, I take it all back. Suity, call me!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Why insecure ftp when scp is there?
      Don't confuse 'im!
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        No this is:

I Know I shouldn't ask this but what were you searching for to find that????
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Last time I set up an EC2 server on AWS - which was about ten days ago - I just had to go through the online forms, about five pages long, accepting the defaults for those things I didn't want to configure myself (such as security groups, as I already had one set up I wanted to add the server to - though it put that in a handy list for me to choose). A couple of minutes after that I had a fully-functioning web server running a Django app with PostgreSQL DB and an IP address pointed to by the A Name record of the domain I was using. I could have had a load balancer in front of it if I'd wanted, just by ticking a box. Tick another box, replicate the DB to a slave DB server in the Far East. And so on.

Seriously, it's dead easy if you just make use of all the stuff they've done to make the process automatable, like Elastic Beanstalk. I SSHed into the server once it was running, then realised there wasn't actually anything left for me to do in the shell, as it was all working just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            This thread is why DevOps is bad and why us infra guys hate devs playing admin!
            DevOps isn't about devs playing admin. It's pretty much the opposite: it's about admins being able to make sure that systems can cope with the requirements of devs, rather than hindering them through inflexible architectures and procedures. The primary goal of DevOps is that devs shouldn't have to do admin stuff.

Comment

Well Nick, I've got to raise a couple of issues with the "dead easy" thing.

My gotchas :

Make sure you build the EC2 instance in the right region. Seems to default to Organ, US for some reason.

Don't expect once it's built for you to be given a user name and password to access it, or be able to specify one in the launch process. If you didn't ask for it to create a PEM file, you are stuffed and have to tear it down and start again.

Once you've set up VM, don't expect to be able to access it. Oh no. You've got an inbound route for port 80, so you're expecting when you slap the public DNS in your browser to see the apache welcome page. But you'd be wrong. No you have 2 firewalls to contend with, the crappy AWS one, and the inbuilt one that comes with RedHat. No they don't tell you this. Yes they both need to be configured seperately.

Also from last year's shenanigans, I wanted to upload a db backup to a linux instance, forget it.

Lots of folks online complaining about it as well, due to the complexity, flakiness and faff.

In all seriousness bud, just because the forum's top boffin finds it easy isn't much of an accolade.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
              X