• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon web services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    FTP expert ...

configured the FTP Server ....

# yum -y install ftpd
    # service ftpd start
    User accounts?
    Directory permissions?
    Apache config?
    Red hat internal firewall?
    AWS security groups, and routes?

You really are a tosspot.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Surprised that amazon are not top notch at anything. I pretty much buy everything from them and love their service.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Nope, it's an overcomplicated bag of wank.

Being a legend I still managed to stand up a Red Hat box and get Lamp sparked, and configured the FTP Server.
        You are stuck in the past mate. Being a legend doesn't always mean sticking with what you know. If learning something hurts then maybe you are in the wrong industry...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
          You are stuck in the past mate. Being a legend doesn't always mean sticking with what you know. If learning something hurts then maybe you are in the wrong industry...
          Should have gone to specsavers. I already posted it's done.

Comment

Should have gone to specsavers. I already posted it's done.
            Don't need to go to specsavers, you revealed your password to me when you connected to your ftp server

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Don't need to go to specsavers, you revealed your password to me when you connected to your ftp server

Seriously though, why do Amazon need to rename things and make things more complicated than they need to be?

Why call it "elastic ip"? What not call a firewall a firewall, a spade a spade, an ip an ip.

Wouldn't happen with Azure

Comment

Still a bag of
                Nope, it's an overcomplicated bag of wank.

Being a legend I still managed to stand up a Red Hat box and get Lamp sparked, and configured the FTP Server.
                User accounts?
                Directory permissions?
                Apache config?
                Red hat internal firewall?
                AWS security groups, and routes?

Seriously though, why do Amazon need to rename things and make things more complicated than they need to be?

Why call it "elastic ip"? What not call a firewall a firewall, a spade a spade, an ip an ip.

Wouldn't happen with Azure
                Have you considered hiring a Contractor?
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

This thread is why DevOps is bad and why us infra guys hate devs playing admin!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Yep, agree. To be fair it is only a dev environment, and not production so the world won't stop turning.

Hats off to you infra guys.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      Day one on a gig for a large Financial a few years back. Was informed the outsourced Indian developers had done the Production server builds. I said I thought that was a bad idea. The outsourcing company thought otherwise and reported my comments to management in the hope of getting me a ticking off.

I responded by email directly to client-co management with a one-liner: It has taken less than five minutes to figure out the root passwords of all your Production servers - do you consider this to be a problem?

That gig went on for 3 years (@900/day.) Happy times.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X